Pynchon And Other Overrated Writers

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:29 am
Larry, since you so enjoy rating writers, perhaps you could share your degree of difficulty scale with us. Your reading Proust in French is clearly a 10. How about pop-up books? Maybe a little lower. TV Guide a bit higher. Not sure about Stephen King. Please enlighten us...
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:31 am
If you will read back to the start of this thread, you will see that FOUR other people have posted their dislike of and boredom with Thomas Pynchon. Clearly I am not alone in my views. That is why I started this thread--to give a forum for those of us unimpressed by Pynchon (and other writers we feel are overrated) a chance to air our views. I don't know why this is so threatening to those of you who like Pynchon. Is it possible that you secretly suspect he isn't that good after all and must defend him at all costs?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:36 pm
Three threads trying to find people who'll agree with you and you found four people. Larry! Congratulations!! Wow!!!
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:38 pm
Here is the critic Harold Bloom on Pynchon:
"VINELAND was a total disaster. In fact, I cannot think of a comparable disaster in modern American fiction...this piece of sheer ineptitude, this hopelessly hollow book which I read through in amazement and disbelief and which has not got in it a redeeming sentence, hardly a redeeming phrase, and is immensely disheartening."

Source: The Paris Review Writers At Work Interviews, 9th series, p, 205
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:40 pm
Wrong, Tartarin. All the people I cited as agreeing with me were on ONE thread--this one. I'd lay off the coffee if I were you, you seem a trifle wired today.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:41 pm
Degree of difficulty scale? What relevance does that have? Reading is not a competitive sport.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:10 pm
And how many disagreed?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:39 pm
larry richette wrote:
Here is the critic Harold Bloom on Pynchon:
"VINELAND was a total disaster. In fact, I cannot think of a comparable disaster in modern American fiction...this piece of sheer ineptitude, this hopelessly hollow book which I read through in amazement and disbelief and which has not got in it a redeeming sentence, hardly a redeeming phrase, and is immensely disheartening."

Gee, Larry, that sounds like your kind of understatement.

Has anyone ever seen Bloom and Richette in the same place at the same time?
0 Replies

stike

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 05:28 pm
larry larry larry
i only patronize those who can be patronized.

proust is not difficult.
he is long.

long is not difficult.

and veritable sh!tloads of people speak french, so you get no bonus points.
am i supposed to now tell you that i read Nietsche in german? do i get bonus points?

i think you know that the opinion of critics is just that, and for every pynchon hating critic (whose point is valid, i will alllow), i submit that i could dig up for you 3 or four people who find him brilliant.

i think you have an opinion.
i do too.
the difference between us, my friend, is that although i am convinced my opinion is solid, i am not so stupid as to believe it is correct. it is, simply, mine.

your opinion is yours.

you have good scratch-n-sniff, i'm gonna go crack some DFW (yes, i think he's over-rated, too, but he is still a great read).
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
Proust is not difficult? Then go try reading him in either French or English. He is certainly not an easy read the way, say, Hemingway or Steinbeck is an easy read. Proust writes serpentine sentences and constructs complex metaphors. To pretend otherwise is to betray your ignorance of literature even further.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:01 pm
By the way, the philosopher whose name you can't spell is Nietzsche. You obviously don't read him in any language either.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:38 am
Quote:
"New Haven, the purpose of fiction is to communicate spiritual states".

Larry:
I read fiction for FUN, not to achieve a spiritual state. Drunk
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 10:37 am
New Haven:

I didn't say that you had to ACHIEVE a spritual state by reading fiction. Evidently you have some problem with reading comprehension. What I said was that fiction COMMUNICATES spiritual states--the state of mind of the characters. I would hope that reading the result is fun, otherwise why bother? But if fun is all it is, you might be better off with comic books. i am sure you will have no problem comprehending them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:16 pm
larry, Remember? No personal attacks, please. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:22 pm
Larry:

I do like comic books. Does that make me an unspiritual person?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:37 pm
NH, I like comics too! I read peanuts every morning. Maybe not every, but most mornings. I still like to read Archie. c.i.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:48 pm
New Haven,

How you read, what you read and for what purpose is no one's business but your own.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:49 pm
LoLa:

I agree.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:12 pm
THAT explains EVERYTHING, Cicerone!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:38 pm