Do dogs suffer from these problems?

Reyn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:12 pm
During the course of my job, I come in frequent contact with dogs. Sometimes they go berserk with the behavior when I enter their yard.

What I would like to know is, do dogs get stressed out, or have heart problems, like strokes, etc, to the point where these symptoms severely affect them, like humans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 613 • Replies: 5
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:57 pm
I'm not a medical expert on dogs nor do I have any vetrinary training, but I think dogs just get excited when someone strange enters their turf. I do think, however, that a dog who lives in a stressful situation such as discord or fighting in a home with bad karma has his/her immune system weakened by the stress just like a human does. I think dogs are very in tuned with their environment the same as children are. A loving, peaceful environment promotes good behavior and good health and a stressful, harsh environment promotes bad behavior and has adverse reactions on the body.

My dogs have always been exciteable which is neither good or bad. It's just the way dogs are.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:16 pm
Dogs do indeed have strokes. However, all of them that I have seen and treated over the years have been related to age, rather than stress. Obviously, stress in any mammalian species results in stimulation of the adrenal cortex, causing the release of steroids which temporarily supress immune system function. I strongly disagree that a loving environment results in good behavior. Manners are learned by dogs just as they are by children. A spoiled brat is a spoiled brat, regardless of the number of legs it possesses.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm wondering why more dogs don't die from heart problems versus cancer, etc. More home owners have dogs now for "guard dog duty" reasons and they get very worked up to the point of having what appears to be an apoplectic fit. This doesn't seem to be the case.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 05:07 pm
Congestive heart failure is common, especially in small breeds. "Heart attacks". better known as myocardial infarctions, are essentially unheard of in dogs and other domestic animals because, while primates' coronary arteries do not connect with each other, there is collateral circulation in other animals that allows continuing blood flow if an occlusion occurs in one of their coronary arteries. Make more sense now?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:31 pm
You bet! Very interesting info. Thanks again....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do dogs suffer from these problems?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:09:26