SF favorites?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:54 pm
Sozobe mentioned starting a Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy thread elsewhere on the board. I thought I'd query folks as to their favorite SF books, movies, authors, etc.

My vote for best SF novel ever: Dune by Frank Herbert. The sequels weren't as good.
Runner-up: The Mote in Gods Eye by Niven and Pournelle

Best Fantasy: Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan
Runner-up: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Favorite disaster novel: Lucifer's Hammer

Favorite Authors: Lois McMaster Bujold, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Dave Duncan, Roger Zelazny, George R.R. Martin, Robert Heinlein, Tim Powers, Walter Jon Williams.

Any other SF fans? What books/authors do you read and re-read?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,364 • Replies: 23
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:07 pm
I loved Soylent Green and Fahrenheit 411
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
Heinlein's Starship Troopers for a single title.

For anthologies, anything edited by Jerry Pournelle. His books aren't bad either.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:23 pm
Anthologies: The Year's Best Science Fiction (up to 21 volumes, now) by Gardener Dozois.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
I'm very partial to fat fantasy novels--multi-volumes. Has anyone else read Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile ?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 04:04 pm
Anything by Robert Heinlein, Theodore Sturgeon or Fred Pohl. I've gotten away from reading SF in recent years, for some reason. so I'm not really familiar with some of the newer crop of writers. Others that come to mind are Ursula K. Leguin, Brian Aldiss and, of course, Philip K. Dick. Harlan Ellison used to be a pretty good editor (and writer). His Dangerous visions anthology trilogy is a classic of sorts. Whatever has happened to him? Les DelRay, I believe, passed away.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 04:12 pm
Merry Andrew--

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=Harlan+Ellison&gwp=11&ver=1.0.2.84&method=2
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:43 pm
Thx, Noddy. Lots there I didn't know.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
Merry Andrew--

The longer we live the more we investigate and the more we have to keep track of.

Age brings awesome responsibilities for the curious.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Merry Andrew--

The longer we live the more we investigate and the more we have to keep track of.

Age brings awesome responsibilities for the curious.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 05:26 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm very partial to fat fantasy novels--multi-volumes. Has anyone else read Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile ?

Read the reviews on Amazon, added it to my wish list.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:16 pm
DrewDad--

That will take you through the rest of the winter--marvelous read.
0 Replies

dovle

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 11:09 am
Dune
Ender saga, but not really happy about the end of it
Shadow saga, but Ender's Shadow is the best in this one
The Uplift Saga.
Blade Runner Wink)) The book and the MOvie!!! Super, both of them.

Tolkien (LotR, The Hobbit, Silmarillion). This is the order in which I have read them, and it was super oki.

I have to find some Ursula K Le Guin, I've read only one of her books (I think it was "The left hand of Darkness")...

I think this is the list of the SF / F books that I really liked. And

BERSERK (the anime and especially the manga)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 11:20 am
Re: SF favorites?
DrewDad wrote:
Favorite Authors: Lois McMaster Bujold, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Dave Duncan, Roger Zelazny, George R.R. Martin, Robert Heinlein, Tim Powers, Walter Jon Williams.

That's a good list, and I especially agree about Zelazny and Niven. If fantasy is allowed, I'd throw in David Eddings.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 11:35 am
I've not read enough of one particular SF & F author to have a favorite, but ones that have stuck in my mind have been:

Sci-Fi:

Isaac Asimov - the Foundation series mainly
Peter F Hamilton - English, check out his "Night's Dawn" trilogy
Anne McCafferey (sp?) - just started on the "Pegasus" series
Ian M Banks - Scottish, chk out "The Player of Games"

Fantasy:

David Eddings - esp. the Belgariad series
Raymond E Feist - any of the Riftwar or Serpentwar books
Terry Pratchett - need I say more?

One of the things I like so much about Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors is that they appear less afraid of a 1,000 page book than authors in other genres. And if you've got a good story, why make it shorter? "Epic" is the word that springs to mind. Cool.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:13 pm
This is my favorite genre, always my first stop at the local library...I read a book some time ago that really stuck in my mind, called "Fudoki" by Kij Johnson. LOVED it!

Will have to locate "Saga of Pliocene Exile." Did Julian May write "Blood Trillium," or am I thinking of someone else? Also a great book!
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:21 pm
Stephen Donaldson.

The Thomas Covenant Chronicles are great fantasy.

The Gap series is great sci-fi.

Anything by Terry Pratchett or Philip K Dick.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 04:13 am
Philip K. Dick, yes! Words like "original" and "idiosyncratic" spring to mind.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 04:22 am
More into Fantasy...but love George RR Martin, Terry Goodkind (the first 2 books...the rest get much too politcal for my taste) Stephen Donaldson has stuck with me..Marion Zimmer Bradley..Robert Jordan(though i have stopped at book 9)
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
Tanith Lee is great. I also really liked Mervyn Peake's 'Titus Groan' trilogy, AKA Gormenghast...a much older work, but a great read.
0 Replies