Persuasive Essay

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 09:41 pm
Hi, I'm a sophmore in highschool and I have an essay/speech I have to do on the benefits on learning a second language in high school. the first step, the intro or attention step, is one I find the hardest and was wondering what people thought a good idea for an attention getting intro could be. I am bilingual if starting by speaking another language would be a good idea? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thankssss!

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:06 am
@StudentInNeed711,
No. Don't just start speaking another language as your intro. You want your audience to understand what you are saying immediately. The introduction is where you grab interest.

Here's an idea. How about gathering a list (short!) of words in your other language which were borrowed by English.

What do the words patio, coyote, and hurricane have in common?

See: http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/list-of-english-words-of-spanish-origin.html

I have no doubt you'll be able to find a list of words English borrowed from your other language if it's not Spanish.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 09:30 am
@StudentInNeed711,
I disagree with Jespah. I think starting in another language is a great idea.... if you tie it into the points you are making later in you speech. You could start with a phrase that has particular meaning to your linguistic journey, or you could start with a phrase that is interesting in some way.

I am bilingual; English and Spanish. There are some phrases in Spanish that don't have a direct translation into English... and vise versa. I might start with one of these phrases to make the point that the ways of thinking are different in different languages and that understanding two languages opens your mind to different perspectives.

That is just my example. My point is that using another language in the intro is a great idea... as long as it ties into the rest of the speech.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:14 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...starting in another language is a great idea...

Not at all a good idea.

The idea is to grab attention immediately, there may not be a second chance.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:27 am
@Sturgis,
Sama aéroglisseur fèèss neu ak anguilles'. If someone gets up and says something in Wolof. It grabs my attention. I want to know what it means, and I am going to listen to hear the point. If this introductory phrase is directly related to the speech... all the better.

By the way he Wolof phrase I chose translates to "my hovercraft is full of eels"... the phrase is an allusion to the Monty Python Hungarian Phrasebook sketch. That you are reading this proves my point. Starting out with a foreign phrase to make a point does, in fact, keep your interest.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
Maybe you want to know what they are saying, not everybody has that interest. If it sounds too much like gibberish, it's a deterrent for me and many others.

We're all different.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:38 am
@Sturgis,
I am curious Sturgis... the thesis of the speech is learning a second language is beneficial.

How would you start this speech in a way that both related to the points you are going to make, and grabbed my interest?

coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:51 am
The point is that in the opening statement/ paragraph you should clearly state what your argument is. Then, the rest of the essay expands on the argument. But the opening paragraph is where you have to grab them. If you're going to use a foreign language make sure it's something catchy and to the point, and translate it immediately.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:51 am
@maxdancona,
You want me to write the essay for the OP?

An idea would be to indicate an interest in language.

"From early on I had a curiosity..."

That is one method. As said, to go beyond this; would be, essentially doing someone else's job.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 12:39 pm
@coluber2001,
I agree with Coluber.

High school students are taught the "inverted triangle" where the introduction starts general and ends with a specific thesis. A foreign phrase is a good first sentence... it is general. I agree that you should tell them why it is important right away and lead into your thesis.

If the essay is on being bilingual... a bilingual introduction seems appropriate.

Carpe Diem. C'est la vie. Vaya con Dios.

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2018 10:54 am
@maxdancona,
I agree with you guys. Before I read any comments, I thought: easy solution!

But the translation should be immediate AND for crowd engagement, it would be cool to get the audience to repeat it.

The trick is what to choose. It should be either funny or something everyone in the audience might really want to know in certain situations.

Of course, this little jewel easily introduces the need to know another language.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Persuasive Essay
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:25:47