"unsafe" Email attachments -

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:59 am
In the past few weeks I have had problems I haven't had before with (Outlook) Email attachments.
Norton is denying access to them with the message: "OE removed access to unsafe attachments in your mail"
The attachments are from friends who have often sent me stuff this way before (photographs, etc, ) without this happening.
I'm wondering if there could be some technical glitch that's causing this to happen. Any theories?
(Oh, others are working just fine)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,496 • Replies: 8
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:05 am
As I do not use Outlook, I may not be capable for giving a suggestion. But, just let me ask, what is the extension of the file (e.g., "exe", ..)?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:09 am
Sorry, satt, you're talking to a Luddite here! Confused
I'm not sure what you mean by "extension of the file".
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:15 am
Hello msolga,
Are you sure that it's Norton that's interfering with your viewing of attachments?
The e-mail security upgrades that have been a part of the recent Office (and Outlook) service packs do precisely what you are referring to, and they do so by design.
If you have installed the most recent Office service packs, they have available a means by which you can allow attachments with certain file extensions. You can read a bit more about this here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262634

However, before you make adjustments which allow new attachment types to enter your system, you should think long and hard about this. Even though these attachments may come from friends, hackers, virus kiddies and spammers can get hold of your e-mail address and send you things too.

I have found the default security levels for e-mail attachments in Outlook quite appropriate....I can still send and receive most image and document files. Things like .exe files are blocked but you shouldn't send or receive those anyway, even if it is from a friend...it's too easy to make a mistake that can be very difficult to fix.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:23 am
The extension of a file is a substring of the name of the file after the last dot '.', for example, "html" part for the file name "URL.html", "gif" for "Picture.gif", and "txt" for "Document.txt." On Windows it is hidden by default. But you can choose an option to show explicitly, and it must be recommended to take the last option. However I am sorry as I have no computers with Windows OS at hand now, I cannot suggest the way to select the option, though it is not very complicated. I hope someone else can tell you the setting options for this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:26 am
Ijust re-set my security for Outlook - it had also been upgraded in the most recent version. I decided to sacrifice security for utility - I was waaaaaay out of the loop! A tip - I had to put them back up, exit Outlook, then put them down again, exit again, to make the re-set work.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:28 am
Ah, thank you, Stoat & satt ...
I will reread your words tomorrow when I'm a little more alert. (It's around 12:30 am here & I'm fading fast! Confused )

(ps How nice to see you again, Stoat! Very Happy )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:32 am
dlowan

Then maybe I'd just better leave things as they are then? And not tamper with things I don't fully understand ... Especially since I received an infected Email (from an unknown source) tonight. Thank god for Norton!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:39 am
have a think when you awake, Olga - figure out how much you want the attachments! if you wanna change it is easy.

I still get viruses picked up - but of course I do not have as much security as you currently do!
0 Replies