Hackers Run Wild and Free on AOL

Stoat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 05:54 am
This is an article that appeared in Wired News on February 21. Here is the original URL:

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57753,00.html

If you find this information valuable, you may wish to pass it along to your friends who use AOL.

Hackers Run Wild and Free on AOL

By Christopher Null

Using a combination of trade tricks and clever programming, hackers have thoroughly compromised security at America Online, potentially exposing the personal information of AOL's 35 million users.

The most recent exploit, launched last week, gave a hacker full access to Merlin, AOL's latest customer database application. As a security measure, Merlin runs only on AOL's internal network, but savvy hackers have found a way to break in.

The hack involves tricking an AOL employee into accepting a file using Instant Messenger or uploading a Trojan horse to an AOL file library. When the file is executed, the Trojan horse connects the user who launched it to an Internet relay chat server, which the hacker can use to issue commands on the targeted machine. This allows the hacker to enter the internal AOL network and the Merlin application.

Merlin requires a user ID, two passwords and a SecurID code, all of which hackers obtain by spamming the AOL employee database with phony security updates, through online password trades, or by "social engineering" attacks over IM or the telephone.

The hacker who first used this exploit is said to be a 14-year-old boy. (He could not be reached for comment.)

Another recent exploit reportedly allowed anyone to log in to any account with a password, using a hole in AOL's Japanese Webmail portal. That flaw has since been repaired.

Yet another hole has allowed hackers to steal AOL Instant Messenger screen names, even those of AOL staff members and executives.

Most at risk are screen names that hackers covet, like Graffiti, or single-word names like Steve. Also at risk are internal AOL accounts like TOSGeneral, which is used to monitor abuse reports.

While many of these hacks utilize programming bugs, most hackers are finding it far easier and quicker to get access or information simply by calling the company on the phone.

These so-called social engineering tactics involve calling AOL customer support centers and simply asking to have a given user's password reset. Logging in with the new password gives the intruder full access to the account.

In a telephone interview, two hackers using the handles Dan and Cam0 explained that security measures (such as verifying the last four digits of a credit card number) can be bypassed by mumbling.

A third hacker, using the name hakrobatik, confirmed the mumbling method.

"I kept calling and pretending I just had jaw surgery and mumbling gibberish," hakrobatik said. "At first I had no info except the screen name, then I called and got the first name and last name by saying, 'Could you repeat what I just said?' Then each time that I got information I called back making the real information understandable, and everything else I just mumbled."

In the end, hakrobatik said, service reps he talked to got so frustrated having to ask him to repeat information that they'd give up and reset the password. Hakrobatik later proved he could compromise any AOL account armed only with its screen name.

Typically, hackers target reps at offshore call centers in India or Mexico, who they claim are less savvy and have far less training than American service agents.

"You can basically get any account information from AOL by just calling and pestering," hakrobatik said.

At least one rep was susceptible to the proverbial oldest trick in the book. Cam0 said he masqueraded as "a teenage girl" to win favors from a smitten AOL employee after engaging in flirtatious chat sessions and sending phony photographs. Some hackers also pose as internal AOL Operations Security staff to wheedle information. And hackers claim disgruntled AOL employees freely provide account information and favors to friends on the outside.

Of the latest AOL attacks, Adrian Lamo, renowned hacker and founder of disbanded watchdog site Inside-AOL, said: "It's unprecedented in the history of AOL. AOL employee education is centered around fake online communication. There's very little effort to guard against voice scams."

Why hasn't AOL let users know about the site's rampant security problems? "Every now and then something flashy happens, but AOL keeps it quiet pretty effectively," Lamo said.

The reason, Lamo said, is that AOL rarely prosecutes hackers.

"They tend to employ technical countermeasures and otherwise ignore intruders," he said. "There's an oft-stated perception that no one has ever been busted for hacking an AOL account."

AOL did not return repeated calls requesting comment for this story.

"You see all those commercials saying AOL 8.0 is so secure," said Dan. "If people knew how insecure their data was they probably wouldn't use it."

Copyright 2003, Lycos, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,765 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 05:59 am
Stoat!!!! You appear to be a hamster!

Hmmm - we have Australia Online - I assume them to be a subsidiary of the empire to whom you refer - I wonder if they have similar problems?

I do not use them.

We have digressions here, you know...
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:22 am
Hello Dlowan! Smile
Yes, I thought that the hamster pic was the closest one to something that looks like a stoat in the image gallery here Laughing
I'm not familiar with the service to which you refer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed linked.
I am not at all surprised to hear of these security holes, as I have been reading endless reports of flaws in the AOL software that's required to access the service for years.
Unlike most ISP's, AOL requires the subscriber to install a massive software package in their computer which overwrites numerous system and power settings, many completely unrelated to internet access. The AOL software is legendary for creating all manner of system, hardware, and ancillary problems for people, and if they try to remove it, it's often impossible without doing a complete hard drive reformat.
The reason for this is that the AOL system does just about everything differently from everyone else on the planet, from how your e-mail works to various browser functions. Consumers are roped into this with promises that AOL is so very easy to use and they have tech support who will patiently hold the most obtuse individual by the hand until they finally understand what "e-mail" is and develop a recognition that the keys on the keyboard all provide a distinct function.
Subscribers become accustomed to doing things "the AOL way" and so are terrified to leave the service. AOL has banked on this for years to maintain their customer base.
Recently, however, AOL has posted huge losses and is being kept afloat by massive infusions of cash from it's parent, Time/ Warner. It could be that the word is finally getting out, after years and years of industry domination and lies.
My hope is that this story will be picked up by the major media outlets and it might scandalize them further.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:29 am
Stoat - you can download/upload pix from elsewhere - should you desire - as long as they meet size requirements - but I attempt to instruct my betters in the finer points of egg-sucking!

I have read many e-friends' struggles with AOL, and shuddered!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:43 am
I never could understand why people choose AOL in the first place. For years there have been problems from this provider. Even when I first got my computer, over four years ago, and knew nothing about computing, I knew enough to stay away from AOL.

I keep the database for a directory for an organization in which I am involved. I think that at least half the members are on AOL!
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:45 am
Thank you for the info about uploading a custom picture! I will look around and see if I can find something more Stoat-ish Laughing

Yes, I have tried to help many people with problems on machines with AOL installed on it. Normally, what happens is that you can fight with it for hours and get nowhere, at which point you either reinstall the AOL software which may correct the problem to some degree, or you reformat the hard drive and start anew. Quite often the normal debugging and repair procedures don't apply...you have to do it "the AOL way" Laughing

It saddens me greatly that so many people are afraid to leave AOL....they have been told lies for years about how "terribly complicated" a non-AOL setup is, and so they put up with all of the problems that the AOL software (as well as the service itself) inflicts upon them.

Mainstream consumer software has become so terribly simple to install and use that this "difficulty" angle that AOL has been pushing for years has fully evaporated. I think that AOL's stock price plunge is testament to that.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:04 am
Hi, Stoat,

".....Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise."

Think I'm beginning to appreciate that quote more every day.

Is it true that local ISP's are safer from hackers than those such as AOL?

So far, every e-mail that I have received containing a virus has been caught and deleted. Most have come from Virizon(sp)

Thanks you for the information that you have provided here, and it is good to see you on A2K.

Keep turning that wheel and generating that energy, stoat or hamster. Laughing
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:12 am
I have been thinking of switching my mail for ages, this has just cemented my decision! Yikes. Confused

Lorna
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:31 am
Hello Letty! It's nice to see you too!
I hesitate to generalize about such things.
I would say that in a very general way the answer is yes simply because AOL is the biggest company of it's type out there and as such it will naturally become the target of the most hackers. This, however, does not excuse AOL for being so terribly sloppy with their security.
There are good and bad companies for any service or product that exists....some might possibly be worse than AOL (although I'm not quite sure how this would be possible) and many are quite likely far better.
If you are looking for a new ISP, you might want to consider the feedback from existing users, which you can find at places like

http://www.dslreports.com

and

http://www.thelist.com

But as far as security is concerned, I wouldn't trust it to the ISP. You need to be proactive and use safe computing habits and at the very least use a free firewall product like ZoneAlarm

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

or a new contender in the free firewall market that has received some absolutely glowing praise in the tech press lately, the Outpost firewall from Agnitum

http://www.agnitum.com

If you don't mind spending some money, things like hardware firewalls and routers with built-in firewalls are a great investment also.
Once you've installed a firewall, you can test it's effectiveness and stealthiness at

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Thank you for your kind words and it's nice to see you again as well Smile
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:38 am
Hello Lorna,

I think that if you live anywhere near a major metropolitan area, you can likely find an ISP for similar or even less money that will provide you with better service than AOL.

Please check the links that I posted for Letty above to find available options in your area.

If you do indeed change providers, you might want to consider removing as much of the AOL software from your system as possible, and even consider a hard drive reformat if that's something you can easily do....you may notice a performance increase once the AOL stuff is gone Smile
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:55 am
Phoenix, we are of like minds on this as well.

AOL is like a little sandbox on the Internet. They provide all their own toys, it's wonderful and happy.

But even a two-year-old tires of the sandbox eventually, and begins crawling outside of it.

It can be exhilirating outside the sandbox; different, scary, challenging, dangerous, obscene.

The meek will crawl right back in, and be perfectly content within the safe constraints.

The semi-brave will be shooed back into the sandbox by their overprotective mommies. ('Mommies' would be the AOL-TW overlords, for those of you having trouble tracking the analogy.)

The brave will run like the wind and never allow themselves to be locked into the sandbox ever again.

As is demonstrated time and again throughout society, real sheep don't require either a fence or even a sheepdog.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:30 am
PDiddie- You stated my exact thoughts very well. I have heard AOL characterized as, "Internet Light", for those who are too timid to venture forth.

In internet providers as in governments, there is a direct correlation between safety and freedom!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:34 am
Welcome, stoat! And thanks for the heads up - many, many of our members are on AOL (eek).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 12:54 pm
Thank you. Stoat. You are quite inscrutable Razz
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:43 pm
Stoat,

Good to know Smile

Lorna
0 Replies

whatis1029

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
Do you waste money by using AOL? *tsk* *tsk* stop that.

http://thelist.com

and find a low cost dialup provider local to YOU. Wouldn't you rather pay $6/month?

(The web was NEVER designed to be accessed by analog modem users)
0 Replies