put up/on

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 07:25 pm
We brought the military police and some of our artillery guys to the Assisi Hospice. The performance that they put up there was probably more important than the one they put up on the actual day because for many of the residents in the hospice, they were not actually going to get to see this again.”

Shouldn't it be "put on" instead?

Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 280 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 07:30 pm
Certainly in the American language it would be3 "put on."
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 07:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Certainly in the American language it would be3 "put on."
Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:53 am
BrE is OK with "put up" a performance.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 08:43 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

BrE is OK with "put up" a performance.
Thanks, centrox.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:28 pm
Having read the original piece, which is a quotation of remarks by Tan Chuan-Jin, Speaker of the Singapore Parliament, I revise my advice. To perform a play, or musical, gymnastic, military etc spectacle, is to put on that performance. The confusion (at least in Mt Tan's mind) probably arose because when we do well in a competition such as a race, tournament or series of e.g. football games, we can say we put up a good performance. Thus the answer to Tanguatlay's question is: yes, it should be "put up". This answer is correct for British English as well as American.
centrox

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:57 pm
Would the coward care to explain? What I wrote is absolutely correct.

https://images2.imgbox.com/01/f8/Q7X6uttT_o.jpg
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 02:41 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
performance. Thus the answer to Tanguatlay's question is: yes, it should be "put up". This answer is correct for British English as well as American.

Ah! I see! I am covered in shame. The "cowards" were right. All along it was staring me in the face. Typing on autopilot. For what it's worth, this is what I should have written:

Thus the answer to Tanguatlay's question is: yes, it should be "put on". This answer is correct for British English as well as American.

Apologies to all.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 04:52 pm
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » put up/on
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:34:49