Elevator music a myth?

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
Think about it. When is the last time you actually heard music in an elevator? I can't remember ever hearing elevator music. Was there ever a time when there was music in elevators? Have we been duped!?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,840 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
In high end hotels they have it sometimes.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
Quote:
In high end hotels they have it sometimes

Probably explains why I never heard it. Hell motel6 don't even have an elevator Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
What?!!! Impossible! I have to go to one! I must find this mythical beast called "elevator music" before I leave this earth.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm
I used to hear it in department store elevators and large office buildings. Now the department stores have escalators instead, and the office buildings all stopped playing it after too many complaints. One can only listen to "Girl from Ipanema" played by a zydeco band so many times.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:12 pm
hm, ok....let me remember where I heard it last......I don't spend a whole lot of time in elevators or in high end hotels. I seem to recall in Vegas perhaps?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:15 pm
I had a friend who worked for the Muzak (sp?) Co. here in Seattle. Oh, it existed all right...

Re elevators in department stores: We have 'em here in our biggest store. No music though...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:24 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I had a friend who worked for the Muzak (sp?) Co. here in Seattle. Oh, it existed all right...

Elevator Music: A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong

We have musicless elevators in almost every department store here (mothers/fathers are wellcomed as customers as well :wink: ).

It's been a long time ago, since I last heard elevator music in an elevator.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
the music you sometimes hear when you're on hold has become the new elevator music...
a few years ago i remember hearing some jazz station whilst waiting for a PPV movie to start...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:31 pm
I used to get pissed off when I had to endure music that was not to my liking, when I was on "hold". But I figured that it was a lot better than hearing nothing, and wondering if you were still connected!

What I really hate is when they play a commercial for the company that you are attempting to reach. I have shouted some choice words at the recording, some of which would necessitate my removal from A2K! Laughing
0 Replies

Golden Bough

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:33 pm
The building where I worked played a lite rock station in the elevators for many years.

Then they installed a voice announcement system in the elevators, and they couldn't use the music with that device.

I sort of missed hearing "Cat's in the Cradle" every day!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 03:10 pm
The elevators in my building have Xmas music around Xmas and on patriotic holidays, we get a medley of Sousa, etc. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:42 pm
I'd like the Sousa; I used to play that stuff in high school marching band. Though not everyone's cup o' tea, I would imagine...
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:25 pm
No elevator music, but one company I call frequently plays Big Band on-hold music. That wouldn't normally be my choice, but it's enough of a surprise & novelty that I kind of look forward to it.

Another company plays hip-hop-rap crap which makes a 5-minute wait seem like 5 weeks. Picture being stuck in an elevator with THAT playing ...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:41 pm
Some of the smaller boutique style places have
hip-hop and rap music extremely loud that I wonder how the clerks can listen to that all day long.

Elevater music is played at my dentists office Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:20 pm
Eva wrote:
One can only listen to "Girl from Ipanema" played by a zydeco band so many times.

Check out Pizzicato Five's version of Girl from Ipanema ... its cute and/or hilarious
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:23 pm
LOVE Pizzicato Five.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:13 am
Actually, I like Kenny G's Girl from Ipanema and wouldn't mind hearing it in an elevator, escalator, or on-hold.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:25 am
BTW ... if she was "tall & tan" and "walked everyday to the sea" when Sinatra sang about her 43 years ago, she's now probably leather-skinned and/or a posterchild for skin cancer.

Each one she passes goes ..... arrrrrrgggggggggh!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:53 am
Region Philbis wrote:
the music you sometimes hear when you're on hold has become the new elevator music...

Yes! And it's always atrocious "mellow" music! You hold & hold & they keep playing progressively more ghastly stuff in between the "Your call is important to us. Please hold till an operater is available"-message. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies