Question Regarding Organ Donors

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:46 pm
I like the idea that someone could benefit from what's left of me after I die. Didn't think they would want my old wore out stuff, but have been assured by a nurse that's not so. The problem is, I have been told stories over the years of donors' families getting charged for the surgery. Doesn't make sense to me, but I would like to know what others have heard or experienced about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 455 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I considered it a number of years ago, and came away with the understanding that the procedure was covered by the recipient's insurance. I probably couldn't find that in a year, but I am fairly certain of the information.

On the donor's families; in the remote chance the donor's family could be sued, it would only be to the extent of a claim against the estate. You would need legal confirmation of that.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 11:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
According to what I located from he Dept.of Health and Human Services, you, as a donor pay nothing. Those costs are covered by the person or persons receiving an organ.

https://www.organdonor.gov/about/facts-terms/donation-faqs.html.

Click on the General Donation Questions

Quote:
Are there any costs for my donation?

No.

Costs related to donation are paid by the recipient, usually through insurance Medicare or Medicaid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 05:30 am
Your replies are consistent with what I would consider common sense. I am going to do a living will in the near future.
ekename

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 12:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Something to consider:

Organs aren't suitable for transplantation if you don't die in a hospital.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 05:43 am
@ekename,
That's because they are ready in the hospital to get at them while still warm.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
You can also have an indicate on your driver's license

https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/organ-donor.php
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 03:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Yeah, I remember seeing that somewhere.
0 Replies