Should it be 'has' instead?

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 09:12 am
MIC treasurer-general S Vell Paari has revealed what transpired during an alleged meeting between former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad and his then deputy Anwar Ibrahim prior to the latter’s sacking in September 1998.

In an interview with Utusan Malaysia, Vell Paari said he had accompanied his father, then MIC president and works minister S Samy Vellu, to the meeting at Mahathir’s official residence in Sri Perdana, Kuala Lumpur.

He claimed that others present were former finance minister Daim Zainuddin and a corporate figure, who was close to Anwar and had since passed on.

Should it be 'has' instead?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 143 • Replies: 2
No top replies

centrox

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 09:19 am
No. He claimed (past tense). In reported speech, tense move back.
Direct speech (possibly) by Vell Paari: "I accompanied my father, S Samy Vellu, to the meeting at Mahathir’s official residence. Also present were Daim Zainuddin and a corporate figure, who was close to Anwar and has since passed on."

Has in direct speech = had in reported speech.

Direct: "My dog has died and my mother has been drinking gin to console herself".

Reported: Centrox said that his dog had died and that his mother had been drinking gin to console herself

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 10:00 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should it be 'has' instead?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:33:45