Google to Branch Into Television

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
Quote:
Google Inc. (GOOG) is using its popular Internet search technology to find information and images broadcast on television, continuing a recent effort to extend its reach beyond the Web.

The Mountain View-based company planned to introduce the new video search service Tuesday in an index that will be operated separately from the market-leading search engine offered on its home page. The feature pinpoints content previously aired on a variety of television networks by scanning through the closed caption text that many programmers offer.

Google's index, which began storing information last month, includes programming from ABC, PBS, Fox News and C-SPAN.

"We think TV is a big part of people's lives," said Jonathan Rosenberg, Google's vice president of product management. "Ultimately, we would like to have all TV programming indexed."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050125/D87R3LI80.html

Looks like Google has already scored another coup. Too bad I didn't get into the IPO when it was originally offered!

What do you think of Google's new service? Do you think that it is something that you would use often?

You can access this service at:

http://video.google.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:15 am
Cool! A searchable database of television programmes. One wonders how on earth their database developers can keep up with the constant stream of information that so many TV channels can produce! It must be a massive operation.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:27 am
I checked out the Google Video Search Beta site and discovered the following results:

OIL appeared 982 times
IRAQ appeared 1271 times
MONEY appeared 3172 times

Money is clearly talked about predominantly, but wait till you see this little tidbit:

BUSH appeared 1533 times
WAR appeared 1533 times.

Is there any significance between the two? I kid you not, those were the actual search results that I got at 9.20 EST (Tue 25 Jan 2005).
0 Replies

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:08 am
Phoenix: it appears that no one else is interested in this useful piece of news!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:31 am
Yeah Bib, if this were a scandal, people would be flocking to put in their two cents worth. Obviously, people are more interested in peoples' dirt, than their accomplishments!
0 Replies

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:45 am
I think this Google Video is a great addition to the search engine empire. I welcome it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:37 am
I'm overwhelmed and not going to comment until I check the link and find out what I think.

Google used to be an itty-bitty spider.
0 Replies