dashes vs commas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 06:04 pm
Unable to pay a deposit while engaging the services of a prostitute, a 17-year-old boy provided the details of a joint bank account — which he shared with his mother -- to the pimp.

Unable to pay a deposit while engaging the services of a prostitute, a 17-year-old boy provided the details of a joint bank account, which he shared with his mother, to the pimp.

I notice that dashes are nowadays used in place of commas. Is this the latest trend in English?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 323 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:25 pm
@tanguatlay,
if it is a trend, it's quite a long-lasting (and old) one

https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/semi-colons-colons-and-dashes/

Quote:
With that background information in mind, let’s take a look at some ways to put dashes to work in your writing.

1. To set off material for emphasis.

Think of dashes as the opposite of parentheses. Where parentheses indicate that the reader should put less emphasis on the enclosed material, dashes indicate that the reader should pay more attention to the material between the dashes.

Dashes add drama—parentheses whisper. Dashes can be used for emphasis in several ways:

A single dash can emphasize material at the beginning or end of a sentence.

Example: After eighty years of dreaming, the elderly man realized it was time to finally revisit the land of his youth—Ireland.
Example: “The Office”—a harmless television program or a dangerously subversive guide to delinquency in the workplace?

Two dashes can emphasize material in the middle of a sentence. Some style and grammar guides even permit you to write a complete sentence within the dashes.

Example: Everything I saw in my new neighborhood—from the graceful elm trees to the stately brick buildings—reminded me of my alma mater.
Example (complete sentence): The students—they were each over the age of eighteen—lined up in the streets to vote for the presidential candidates.

Two dashes can emphasize a modifier. Words or phrases that describe a noun can be set off with dashes if you wish to emphasize them.

Example: The fairgrounds—cold and wet in the October rain—were deserted.
Example: Nettie—her chin held high—walked out into the storm.

2. To indicate sentence introductions or conclusions.
You can sometimes use a dash to help readers see that certain words are meant as an introduction or conclusion to your sentence.

Example: Books, paper, pencils—many students lacked even the simplest tools for learning in nineteenth-century America.
Example: To improve their health, Americans should critically examine the foods that they eat—fast food, fatty fried foods, junk food, and sugary snacks.

3. To mark “bonus phrases.”

Phrases that add information or clarify but are not necessary to the meaning of a sentence are ordinarily set off with commas. But when the phrase itself already contains one or more commas, dashes can help readers understand the sentence.

Slightly confusing example with commas: Even the simplest tasks, washing, dressing, and going to work, were nearly impossible after I broke my leg.

Better example with dashes: Even the simplest tasks—washing, dressing, and going to work—were nearly impossible after I broke my leg.

4. To break up dialogue.
In written dialogue, if a speaker suddenly or abruptly stops speaking, hesitates in speech, or is cut off by another speaker, a dash can indicate the pause or interruption.

Example: “I—I don’t know what you’re talking about,” denied the politician.
Example: Mimi began to explain herself, saying, “I was thinking—” “I don’t care what you were thinking,” Rodolpho interrupted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:27 pm
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/dash/

Quote:
Em Dashes

Em dashes save the day when other punctuation would be awkward. For instance, em dashes can replace parentheses at the end of a sentence or when multiple commas appear in a parenthetical phrase.

After a split second of hesitation, the second baseman leaped for the ball (or, rather, limped for it).

After a split second of hesitation, the second baseman leaped for the ball—or, rather, limped for it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:30 pm
https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/mad-dash/?mtrref=www.google.ca&gwh=E239279D177C8F11E1796779300C8B97&gwt=pay&assetType=opinion

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/hyphenanddash/dash
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:15 pm
Thanks, ehBeth, for the detailed reply.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » dashes vs commas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:22:25