Is "inconveniences" OK?

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 08:36 pm
After keeping the incidents to herself for about three years, a former track-and-field athlete finally confided in her parents that her coach allegedly molested her on several occasions.

Their response to her: There would be inconveniences should she make a police report, and if it was a “one-off” incident, she should just “move on”.

1. Should it be "to" instead of "in"?
2. Is "inconveniences" OK or should it be "inconvenience"?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 331 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 09:23 pm
@tanguatlay,
Both are correct as written. it's possible 'inconveniences' is used here as an understatement. It's kind of hard to tell.
Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 09:35 pm
Confide in is standard, confide to would not be wrong, but I can't imagine a native-speaker using that preposition.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 10:44 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Both are correct as written. it's possible 'inconveniences' is used here as an understatement. It's kind of hard to tell.
Thanks, roger.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 10:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Confide in is standard, confide to would not be wrong, but I can't imagine a native-speaker using that preposition.
Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Confide can be intransitive (confide in someone), or transitive (confide a secret, precious thing, or delicate task to someone) but the latter usage is a bit old fashioned.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:35 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Confide can be intransitive (confide in someone), or transitive (confide a secret, precious thing, or delicate task to someone) but the latter usage is a bit old fashioned.
Thanks, centrox.

In the following sentence I posted earlier, I should not use 'to', as the usage is old-fashioned. Am I correct?

After keeping the incidents to herself for about three years, a former track-and-field athlete finally confided in her parents that her coach allegedly molested her on several occasions.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 01:54 am
Tanguatlay, you can use either.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 02:52 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Tanguatlay, you can use either.
Thanks, centrox.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is "inconveniences" OK?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:00:49