Discordia Concors: Disturbing Books

Zane

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:02 am
Sorry, Mistress Cinnesthesia. Cool
"The Shining" ...now that's the King of Disturbing.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:15 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:45 pm
Currently reading "The Ninth Life of Louis Drax. " It promises disturbedness; it had better deliver.
0 Replies

dovle

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:11 am
Animal Farm by George Orwell. It's not really scarry, but it's damn scarry realistic! It really make me think how the system works... But I had no nightmares Smile)) BTW, the animation is also good.

I won't way anything about 1984...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:16 am
It has been a while since I have read Animal Farm but if memory serves I think it fits into the category.

Welcome to A2K dovle.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:10 pm
I'm reading "Ben in the World," the sequel to Doris Lessing's "The Fifth Child." Pretty creepy, and I know how it ends...
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:07 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Just about anything by H.P. Lovecraft gives me the willies.
Then again , I'm afraid of Faulkner.

Lovecraft if the master of horror.

I'm afraid to tackle Faulkner. By the time I get to the middle of one of his paragraph-long sentences, I lose my train of thought and forget the topic.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:22 pm
dovle wrote:
Animal Farm by George Orwell. It's not really scarry, but it's damn scarry realistic! It really make me think how the system works... But I had no nightmares Smile)) BTW, the animation is also good.

I won't way anything about 1984...

It shows how government leaders can disassociate themselves from its citizens; that's scary enough. And it gave us the modern meaning of the term "pig."
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:15 am
I'm reading "Fetish," a collection edited by John Yau. It's supposed to be disturbing, I think.

Publishers Weekly wrote:
What's hot for one should be hot for all, or at least that's what Yau's hip, high-smut collection seems to imply. In an introductory note, he claims that we're all natural voyeurs: "We want to know what others among us worship, desire, need," and thus we'll be just as interested in someone else's fetish as that person is. This theory is put, rather rigorously, to the test in 42 stories by the likes of Charles Bukowski, Gordon Lish, Jonathan Lethem, Jessica Hagedorn, Rikki Ducornet and Guy Davenport. In Bukowski's "Love for $17.50," a man gets up close and personal with a mannequin, while Laurie Weeks's "Swallow" documents a sister's desire for a brother enamored of her wasting disease. Yet a fetish, almost by definition, is idiosyncratic. Just because someone might enjoy watching another person undress does not mean he or she will enjoy reading about one writer's Joycean fecal indulgences in "Metempsychosis," by Garrett Caples. The same holds true about a rock groupie who describes the various performers' genitalia in Janice Eidus's "Snow White and the Seven Dicks." Some of the selections, most original to this collection, are presented poetically, some artlessly, some humorously and others as experimental narratives. If they share anything in common?besides an impressive degree of hipster literacy?it is their eccentricity. Whether or not Yau's faith in the universal erotic appeal of a well-told tale is justified, there is undeniably something here for everyone.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:11 am
LionTamerX wrote:
Just about anything by H.P. Lovecraft gives me the willies.

I believe Lovecraft studied the occult, especially the Necronomicon. This I believe may have inspired his writings.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:09 am
I know no one has been on this thread for quite some time, but I just found it and I have to add: The Grotesque, by Patrick McGrath. Anybody else read it, or others by McGrath?
0 Replies

Raindog

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:41 pm
Check out Celine's 'Journey to the End of the Night'.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 03:21 am
Yes, "The Painted Bird" was scary.

"Farewell Waltz" by Milan Kundera was unsettling...but wonderful.

As a kid, I had nightmares because of some of the imagery in books such as Kidnapped...
i still shudder when I think of evil uncle Ebenzer sending David in pitch darkness up those steps - steps that led nowhere. David realizes that they end in mid-air because of a flash of lightning...
0 Replies

MattSacks

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:45 pm
A new one I just finished entitled "Yeval" by C.W. Schultz. I will never be the same Crying or Very sad . I found it at a used bookstore, but a friend sent me a link: http://www.amazon.com/Yeval-C-W-Schultz/dp/1419668595/ref=sr_11_1/104-319177
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:37 pm
Heh! I hadn't seen this thread in ages, and I was so excited to see that the person at the top of the page had mentioned "The Grotesque"... I was all ready to respond....and then I looked again and realized it was *me* that mentioned it, in another incarnation Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:01 pm
sublime1 wrote:
The most disturbing book I have read recently was False Memory by Dean Koontz. What made it disturbing was the fact that it didn't stray too far from reality as most of his books do. It also will give you a new insight to the haiku chain game.

How about his "Dark Rivers of the Heart". Disturbing, and for exactly the same reason. Not sure I've read "False Memory", but I'll keep an eye out for it.
0 Replies