getting on and off the train

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:49 am
In the past, I believe the trains had steps like buses for passengers to get on and off. These days I think the floor of the trains is level with the platform outside the trains.

I wonder whether native speakers still talk about 'getting on and off the train'?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 26
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:14 am
@tanguatlay,
Then there is getting off on the train. But generally that is frowned upon (at least in the US).
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Then there is getting off on the train. But generally that is frowned upon (at least in the US).
Thanks, maxdancona.

In that case, do we have to say 'getting into the train' and 'getting out of the train'?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:30 am
@tanguatlay,
I would say "getting on" and "getting off" the train. I got on the train at Alewife Station and got off at Park Street.

(Just for the record, I was making a childish and crude joke earlier. I am explaining but not apologizing. The term "getting off" in the US can refer to achieving sexual gratification).

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:42 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks, maxdancona.

That means although these days the floor of the trains is on the same level as the platform outside the trains, we cannot say 'I am getting out of the train' or 'I am getting into the train' although logically it should be the way.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:44 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
In the past, I believe the trains had steps like buses for passengers to get on and off. These days I think the floor of the trains is level with the platform outside the trains.

It's not quite as simple as that. Railway station platform arrangements differ by country, and sometimes even within countries. In Britain, where railways started, the invariable convention is (and has been for about 150 years) for stations to have 'high platforms' that are 36 inches (915 mm) high. This is near the height of the train coach floors, so that coaches only need a small step at each door, or none at all. Some other countries have platforms that are much lower, or even none at all, so that passengers board trains from ground level. In these cases, there is some kind of step arrangement. Some countries (e.g. France) have a mixture of high and low platforms (The Paris Métro is high platform, whereas most above-ground SNCF lines are low platform).

Quote:
I wonder whether native speakers still talk about 'getting on and off the train'?

Here in Britain, we talk about 'getting on and off the (or a) train', and we would do so whatever the height of the station platforms, or even if there weren't any. We also 'board' or 'join' trains, and 'alight from' or 'leave' them.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:45 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
maxdancona wrote:
Thanks, maxdancona.

In that case, do we have to say 'getting into the train' and 'getting out of the train'?

Maxdancona is playing with you. "Getting off" is an Americanism for "achieving sexual release".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:49 am
@tanguatlay,
We do over here at least, you get on/off a train/bus/tram.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:55 am
Thanks, centrox, for your detailed explanation and enlightening me on the fact that some trains still have steps. However, where I live, the underground trains have no steps, and we get out of them and get into them. Despite that, we need to say 'get on the train' and 'get off the train'.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:59 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
These days I think the floor of the trains is level with the platform outside the trains.

not in Canada

trains still require steps (and a jump in some cases) to get on and off

http://storage.thewhig.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297584293754_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1405553419066

buses and most streetcars use steps

https://fthmb.tqn.com/WpS5KvtTznhPlapmO9Rsgd81wpY=/1500x1125/filters:no_upscale():fill(transparent,1)/15451155044_0aea7e9027_k-59758ed2d963ac001050055f.jpg

subways tend to be level with the platform

https://images.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/gta/2016/07/24/ttc-faces-perfect-storm-with-costs-rising-ridership-slumping/ttc-subway.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

the language of on and off has survived the changes in some of the equipment
maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 12:24 pm
@ehBeth,
In Boston we have "kneeling" busses. The driver can lower the bus... eliminating the step... upon request.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 12:39 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
Where I live, the underground trains have no steps, and we get out of them and get into them. Despite that, we need to say 'get on the train' and 'get off the train'.

You are being unnecessarily exact, and making up a "rule" where none is needed. A native speaker might well say "I was glad to get in the train", if they want to focus on the transition to an enclosed interior space (e.g. if it is cold on the platform and the train is heated), and conversely "I was glad to get out of the train" (e.g. if it is hot or crowded).
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:05 pm
Thanks, centrox, for telling me that it is correct to say "get in the train" so as to feel warmer on the train, and also "get out of the train" if the train is too crowded or warm.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:14 pm
@tanguatlay,
Don't do that unless you are wherever centrox is. No one in Canada would know you meant you were getting in or out of a train for climate reasons.
centrox

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:39 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Don't do that unless you are wherever centrox is. No one in Canada would know you meant you were getting in or out of a train for climate reasons.

The "climate reasons" were just an example. The idea was to demonstrate that, at least in Britain, there is a lot of flexibility around prepositions such as 'in' and 'on'. I think we tend to use 'on' for big things like ships, trains, airliners, etc, and 'in' for smaller things like cars, helicopters, and individual coaches within trains. You might say "I am on the 17.23 train from Bristol to Swindon, in coach B". But if you said "I am in the train" or "I got in the train", nobody is going to give you a funny look.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:40 pm
@tanguatlay,
In Boston, there are very few times we would say "get in the train". We almost always say "get on the train".

The only time I can think of that I might say "get in the train" is if it were immediate; for example the platform is crowded and I want my kid to put her body in the train. And even then it would sound weird.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:42 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
But if you said "I am in the train" or "I got in the train", nobody is going to give you a funny look.

yeah

don't try it here - people will ask where you're from because you're obviously not from Canada

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 01:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

[don't try it here - people will ask where you're from because you're obviously not from Canada

Wow! I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly. I never realised not being from Canada was such a problem over there.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 02:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Wow! I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly. I never realised not being from Canada was such a problem over there.

we're friendly, not stupid or unobservant

tanguatlay wrote:

if people use language/phrasing not used here, we're going to notice - and being friendly - ask where people are from
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 03:27 pm
@tanguatlay,
I got the train. Next time I'll drive.

1. Forums
  2. » getting on and off the train
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:19:43