Firewalls And Firewalls

Slen

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:32 pm
Hi People Laughing

Hope you can help me with a query about firewalls.

I have recently subscribed to a broadband connection, and I have set up an ADSL Router to service this and my current home network of four PCs.

Now the Router comes with an in-built firewall which I have enabled and checked at GRC.com.

I have an anti-virus firewall on each machine, but I have disabled this as it interferes with the network connections and internet access.

Do I need both the Router firewall and the software firewall? Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 531 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:52 pm
Yes. You do. The router firewall is good but they generally don't provide you with a whole lot of options as far as configuration. They'll allow you to open or block a specific function but teh software firewalls that ocme packages with Anti-virus software or Windows XP allow for a lot more customization. You can allow functions from "safe" sites and deny them for any other IP address.

You didn't say which add-on firewall package you are using though so I can't really comment on what specific features your's might or might not have.

If you have Windows XP on all of your mnachines though, I'd recommend using the XP firewall and getting rid of any aftermarket firewall apps.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:50 pm
You need both.

The hardware (ADSL router) firewall will prevent malicious attacks from the Internet.

The software firewall (from the anti-virus package) allows you to prevent programs on you computer from accessing other computers.

If you download a malicious program, you can prevent it from sending your info to the Internet and from infecting the other computers on your local network.
0 Replies

Slen

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:03 pm
Thanks guys, I suspected that might be the answer.
I am using Panda Plat Int Security
I think I was looking for a way to avoid the firewall configuration screen!!
I will just have to knukcle down and get thoses IP's and MACS adds worked out.
0 Replies