11 1/2 chapter

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:03 am
Is 11 1/2 chapter written as eleventh and a half chapter?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 336 • Replies: 14
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:11 am
It is unclear what is meant. The quantity 'eleven and a half', otherwise 11.5 or 11½ or, if you can't find the ½ character, 11 1/2, is plural, thus 'chapter' should be 'chapters'. Do you want to use the phrase in something like e.g. 'I have read eleven and a half chapters of this book' (i.e. you are half way through the twelfth chapter)?
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:15 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.

11th chapter is eleventh chapter, but 11 1/2 chapters is eleventh and a half chapters.

That's interesting and understandably confusing.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:19 am
@tanguatlay,

chapters are measured in whole units, so defining the halfway point of one is meaningless...
centrox

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:21 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
Is 11 1/2 chapter written as eleventh and a half chapter?

We do not use ordinal numbers (first, second, third, eleventh, hundredth, etc), with fractions.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:24 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
chapters are measured in whole units, so defining the halfway point of one is meaningless...

centrox wrote:
We do not use ordinal numbers (first, second, third, eleventh, hundredth, etc), with fractions. (Region beat me to it).

Do you mean to convey the idea of being part (e.g. half) way though a chapter? E.g. I am half way through the eleventh chapter?
centrox

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:26 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
11th chapter is eleventh chapter, but 11 1/2 chapters is eleventh and a half chapters.

No. See above.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:28 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.

Do you mean to convey the idea of being part (e.g. half) way though a chapter? E.g. I am half way through the eleventh chapter?

That's what I meant?

centrox

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:32 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

That's what I meant?

As already said, you cannot use ordinal numbers (ending -th etc) to express something involving a fraction. You would use the ordinal for the whole number and a separate phrase for the fractional part like the expression in blue above.

The idea of 'eleventh and a half' is ambiguous. If you mean eleven whole chapters and, in addition, half a chapter, then that places you in the middle of the twelfth chapter. So define carefully exactly what you want to say.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:44 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.

I have read eleven and a half chapters of this book' (i.e. you are half way through the twelfth chapter)?

The above sentence quoted by you illustrates the usage.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 06:48 am
@tanguatlay,

how would you even know you were half way through it, unless you counted the pages and did the math?
centrox

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 07:01 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
how would you even know you were half way through it, unless you counted the pages and did the math?

You would be more likely to say part way through the twelfth chapter, or Chapter Twelve or Chapter 12, if they are thus named. Note capitalisation.

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 07:17 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

You would be more likely to say part way through the twelfth chapter, or Chapter Twelve or Chapter 12, if they are thus named. Note capitalisation.

Thanks, centrox. Your help is deeply appreciated.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 03:34 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
I am half way through the eleventh chapter?

in that case you have read ten chapters and part of the eleventh chapter.

ten and a half

not eleven and a half
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2018 01:27 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehBeth.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 11 1/2 chapter
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 10:35:32