No inverted commas in punctuating quotations.

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 05:37 pm
I was taught to use inverted commas when writing quotations. The following example does not use inverted commas. Is this the American way? Thanks.

Long quotations
For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented ½ inch from the left margin; maintain double-spacing. Only indent the first line of the quotation by an additional quarter inch if you are citing multiple paragraphs. Your parenthetical citation should come after the closing punctuation mark. When quoting verse, maintain original line breaks. (You should maintain double-spacing throughout your essay.)

For example, when citing more than four lines of prose, use the following examples:

Nelly Dean treats Heathcliff poorly and dehumanizes him throughout her narration:
They entirely refused to have it in bed with them, or even in their room, and I had no more sense, so, I put it on the landing of the stairs, hoping it would be gone on the morrow. By chance, or else attracted by hearing his voice, it crept to Mr. Earnshaw's door, and there he found it on quitting his chamber. Inquiries were made as to how it got there; I was obliged to confess, and in recompense for my cowardice and inhumanity was sent out of the house. (Bronte 78)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 463 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 07:41 pm
@tanguatlay,
I've certainly heard of that convention involving long quotes. It might be going out of style due to the difficulty of indenting entire paragraphs with some software.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:28 pm
@tanguatlay,
In publishing, long quotes (more than four lines) are called extracts and are supposed to be set off from the text and indented.

The American way of quoting material is to use "quotation marks," not inverted commas. Also note that the closing quotation mark goes outside the comma, not inside.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:19 pm
@Roberta,
Thanks, roger and Roberta.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:51 pm
"Inverted comma" is a British English name for what is also called (especially in America) a "quotation mark", "quote mark", or "quote". Sometimes it can also be called a "speech mark". They come singly and in pairs, and are different when opening and closing a quotation.

https://cdn.tutsplus.com/webdesign/uploads/2013/11/q-curly-double.png

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » No inverted commas in punctuating quotations.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:27:13