First editions and bookplates

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:47 am
I have a number of 20th century first edition books I would like to sell. However, I acquired them when I was very young and arrogantly put {nice} bookplates in them. Does anyone know if that hurts the value?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 906 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:54 am
I'm not an expert in Rare Books--I buy second hand books to read rather than as an investment. I can make some educated guesses.

If you were famous in your own right, the bookplates would add value to the first editions. Unfortunately, if you are not famous, the bookplates mean that you do not own "mint" editions.

Remember, not all first editions are valuable. The Rare Book market, like all hobby markets, is a matter of supply and demand. Check the yellow pages in the telephone book for a Rare Book dealer near to you.
Book sellers are usually pleasant people who enjoy sharing information.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:30 pm
Thanks Noddy, I kinda figured no one would pay extra for my signature - hmmm maybe I can write "Elvis" over some of them.... I only recently found out the books are valuable and I didn't buy them as an investment. They were just nice volumes I found at the 5th Ave Book Fair in the early 80's. I noticed a rare book shop advertising the very same books for sale in the $200-$400 dollar range and I checked around on a few websites to confirm, but no mention of bookplates. I'll give a call to a shop or two and see what they say.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:56 am
I'm a former rare book dealer who is insanely curious about how you make out ...and what books you have. It's really an addiction for some. If you need any advice , let me know.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:13 am
Lion - I don't mind listing a few that I sold (sorry, the sale price is private):

All were first edition hardcovers and signed:

Anne Rice - Interview With A Vampire (I nabbed her at a signing for a later book to get her signature)
Edward Gorey - illustrations - Old Possums Book of Practical Cats (Harcourt ed.) and The Dwindling Party (A pop-up book)
Maurice Sedak - The Golem and In Grandpa's House
Alexander Solzhenitsyn- Prussian Nights (in Russian with English Translation) 1977 - this was a gift from a friend who worked for the publisher
Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited - I inherited this from an uncle who knew him while living in England.
Issac B. Singer - A Crown of Feathers and Other Short Stories

Not all these had bookplates, but in the one's that did the bookplate didn't seem to be a big deal to the buyer. As mentioned, the plates were good quality and in a couple of cases were watercolored by hand. I checked around via internet and NYC leg work to get an idea of pricing and I'm happy with what I recieved, plus I think the buyer really appreciates the books and can take good care of them.
0 Replies