Shouldn't it be 'her' instead?

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:28 am
The Chinese government report further added that Chinese military patrols have increased in the region hotly contested by several Asian nations like Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Taiwan.

This information follows the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative of Washington’s Center for Strategic and International Studies’ report earlier this year that says China has been installing high-frequency radar and other military facilities on its man-made islands in the disputed region while attention in Asia has been diverted by the North Korean nuclear crisis over the past year.

It is unclear whether Ho Ching’s Facebook post is an indication that prominent local figures like herself are concerned about China’s expansion.

Is 'herself' correct? Shouldn't it be 'her' instead?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 216 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:33 am
@tanguatlay,

"herself" is correct...
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 07:13 am
I can't help wondering about this. Purists use reflexive pronouns such as herself/himself/itself when the subject of the verb is the same as the object. Here the subject of the sentence is a Facebook post, so I might want to use 'her'. Joe Smith's letter about taxes shows that people like him/himself? are often ignored by legislators. Him, surely?

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 09:13 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

I can't help wondering about this. Purists use reflexive pronouns such as herself/himself/itself when the subject of the verb is the same as the object. Here the subject of the sentence is a Facebook post, so I might want to use 'her'. Joe Smith's letter about taxes shows that people like him/himself? are often ignored by legislators. Him, surely?
I'd use 'himself'.
centrox

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 09:32 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
I'd use 'himself'.

In my opinion, you would be wrong. The subject of the sentence is the letter, not the person.

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

tanguatlay wrote:
I'd use 'himself'.

In my opinion, you would be wrong. The subject of the sentence is the letter, not the person.
I reread your sentence and realised that it has the same structure as mine, so I agree that you're right.
centrox

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:40 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
I reread your sentence and realised that it has the same structure as mine

That was no accident.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shouldn't it be 'her' instead?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 08:32:56