I asked him what the matter was.

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2017 08:03 pm
I asked him, "What was the matter?"

In reported speech, which is the correct option? I think it's the second.

I asked him what was the matter.
I asked him what the matter was.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 521 • Replies: 5
No top replies

33export

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2017 08:24 pm

Generally when asked in the present tense, such a question is an inquiry into the person's perceived problem, toward offering helpful advice.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:35 am
@33export,
33export wrote:

Generally, when asked in the present tense, such a question is an inquiry into the person's perceived problem, toward offering helpful advice.

Thanks, 33export.

But what is the option, the first or the second?

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 01:38 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
I asked him, "What was the matter?"

If that is the speech as it was spoken (the quote marks state that), the reported speech would be "I asked him what the matter had been". or "I asked him what had been the matter".

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 02:46 am
I see an ignorant coward has been here:

https://images2.imgbox.com/2d/de/xwO99TtM_o.jpg

We sometimes change the tense of the reported clause by moving it back one tense. For example, present simple goes back one tense to past simple. We call this change "backshift". We use this when it is logical to do so. For example, if two minutes ago John said "I am hungry" and I am now telling his sister, I might NOT use backshift (because John is still hungry): John just said that he is hungry. But if yesterday John said "I am hungry" and I am now telling his sister, I would likely use backshift: Yesterday, John said that he was hungry.

So we use backshift sometimes but not always. And when we use it, here's how it works with these common tenses and modals:

present simple → past simple
present continuous → past continuous
past simple → past perfect
present perfect, past continuous → past perfect continuous
can → could
may → might
will → would
shall → should

We never use backshift when the original words are:past perfect; could; might; would; should. If a situation is still true, backshift is optional. For a general truth there is no need for it.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 09:19 am
Thanks, centrox, for explaining in detail the backshift in tenses in reported speech.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I asked him what the matter was.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:24:19