Is the part in bold OK?

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 06:43 pm
We have the police's Special Task Force for Anti-Vice, Gaming and Gangsterism (Stagg)," he added.

Mr Zahid said police are and will continue to carry out operations against secret societies.

However, he declined to name the two groups or specify the reason behind the clash.

Is the part in bold OK?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 331 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 07:45 pm
@tanguatlay,
I probably wouldn't bold any of it. But if I did, I would just bold "and will continue." In fact, you might even think about italicizing the bold print as well. Then people will know that you mean business.
roger

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:12 pm
@Glennn,
Now Glennn, you know she just highlighted that part to direct our attention.

By the way, I think it is good usage.
Glennn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:35 pm
@roger,
You're right. I probably would have missed that part without the emphasis; my attention not being what it used to be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 08:45 pm
A grammar Nazi would tell you that it should read "are carrying out and will continue to carry out"--but we don't like Nazis, and your usage is acceptable and common.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:31 pm
@tanguatlay,
Actually, I would change it thusly:

Mr. Zahid said police are, and will continue, carrying out operations against secret societies.
Glennn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:53 pm
@tanguatlay,
Forgive my earlier posts. I mistakenly thought that you were asking if the part in bold needed to be in bold.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 03:10 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Actually, I would change it thusly:

Mr. Zahid said police are, and will continue, carrying out operations against secret societies.
Thanks, Glennn.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is the part in bold OK?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 08:26:48