A simple question.

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 09:37 pm
Absolutely nothing.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:04 pm
Talk about getting distracted, I originally wanted the Vatican website for financing info, instead, I made a date with myself to take a virtual tour.

Can't wait.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:54 pm
"A simple question"... how much the Catholic Church is "worth"?
Value(s) can be complex, and value is always a relative thing.
For the sake of clarification, are you confining your appraisal to an inventory of Real Estate, Investment Portfolio and Cash assets?

Even more challenging... try to inventory the intangible assets.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 07:26 am
Magus, I assumed there was already a figure floating around the internet somewhere.

I was looking for a very rough estimate of all of their holdings.

The art collection alone would be difficult to appraise. How do you appraise priceless inventory.

Are they considered non-profit? Their a church.

Crazy guess, a billion. I have taken a partial tour of the sistine chapel, my billion estimate is to low I think.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:29 pm
Another factor to consider when doing the appraisals... the identity of the Appraisers/accountants.

(Shall we have Arthur Andersen do the tallying?)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:48 pm
http://panoply.home.att.net/wealth.htm

I don't know...what do you think?

VATICAN CITY, JULY 8, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See's latest financial statement shows that the "Vatican's riches" are a legend, says a Church official.

"If we had so much money, we wouldn't need to put our hand out to ask for help," Cardinal Sergio Sebastiani said with a smile today at a press conference.

The president of the Prefecture for the Economic Affairs of the Holy See was presenting the Vatican's deficit numbers for the fiscal year 2003.

"And the Vatican's riches?" a journalist asked him.

"A legend -- the reality is far more prosaic," the cardinal replied.

He explained that in the last year, in an adverse international economic situation, the Holy See applied an austerity plan to contain the deficit as much as possible.

The cardinal presented in the Vatican press office the Consolidated Financial Statement of the Holy See for the Fiscal Year 2003, which shows a deficit of some $11.8 million.

This marked the third consecutive year of figures in the red, though the 2003 deficit is less than that of the previous year, about $16.6 million.

In 2003, the Holy See recorded income of $251 million and expenses of $263 million, a financial statement comparable to that of several dioceses in some developed countries.

Between 1993 and 2000 the Holy See closed its financial statements in the black, after John Paul II convoked the presidents of the bishops' conferences worldwide in 1991 to promote the implementation of Canon 1271 of the Code of Canon Law.

"By reason of the bond of unity and charity and according to the resources of their dioceses," the canon explains, "bishops are to assist in procuring those means which the Apostolic See needs, according to the conditions of the times, so that it is able to offer service properly to the universal Church."
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:25 pm
The sale of this ONE builing, could bring them out of "so called debt." How many more "humble abodes" do they possess?

During Cardinal Law's tenure, lots of priests under his supervision engaged in inappropriate conduct with young children. Cardinal Law was not present when the offenses took place and the Lord did not see fit to let him know what was going on. Other people did but he didn't take them seriously. By 2002, things had gotten fairly unpleasant for him in Boston and in December of that year he tendered his resignation as Cardinal and moved out of the $20 million three story church-owned house built in the 1920s in which he'd been living humbly as befits a man of the cloth.

I'm not buying their debt problem, and I'm not doing any more research on this either, it's pathetic.

http://www.cephas-library.com/catholic/catholic_cardinal_law_has_new_position.html

My compassion lies with all of the catholic parishioners.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:40 pm
Magus wrote:
Another factor to consider when doing the appraisals... the identity of the Appraisers/accountants.

(Shall we have Arthur Andersen do the tallying?)

I wonder how Jesus would appraise them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:43 pm
Paula, I have nothing more to add here, but I thought I would stop in to give you an emoticon for your collection....

http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/unclassified/troll.gif

Consider this a late Christmas present.

Your friend,

Gus
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:52 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Paula, I have nothing more to add here, but I thought I would stop in to give you an emoticon for your collection....

http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/unclassified/troll.gif

Consider this a late Christmas present.

Your friend,

Gus

He's......he's beautiful! I don't know what to say. Look at him, he jumps up and down, he bends his knees, his arms are doing the wave, what a keeper! And, might I add, he kind of looks like me! Shocked

I love him already! <wipes tears>

Thank you Gus Very Happy
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:05 am
This is for anyone who has lost an angel, it is also belated.

http://www.gift-lane.com/Angel%20collection/angel_playing_the_harp_29098.jpg
0 Replies