Child working and college

valish

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:02 pm
Just found out my son is working 4 days a week minimum at least 7 hour shifts and attending college 1 day (less than 12 hours). Do i still need to pay maintenance and also because he is working 24 hours plus should my ex still be entitled to child benefit/tax credits etc

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2017 08:18 am
@valish,
Talk to your divorce lawyer about this. If payment circumstances have changed, that means you have to reopen the case and get it on the record; you don't just stop paying.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2017 09:40 am
@valish,
Talk to your lawyer.

Also consider why your child may have found it necessary to work while attending college. Do support funds go directly to him?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2017 02:46 pm
@valish,
College aged kids can still receive "benefits" up to age 26, if they carry the proper number of credits to remain eligible.

You son's "income" has nothing to do with your obligation to provide child support while he is a student.

(Good for him that he is working AND going to school.)

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2017 10:00 pm
@PUNKEY,
If you read above it says the child is attending college one day a week. It is highly unlikely then this student has the proper number of credits.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 04:36 am
@valish,
Americans don't know anything about our system. Chb is paid to the person with parental responsibilities up until the child is 16, (end of yr 11,) but can be extended for at least three years as long as they're in further education.

Child tax credit is more complicated, this is a helpline.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-credits-and-benefits?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-peBnamO2AIVjxbTCh35VwKLEAAYASAAEgLSUfD_BwE

Normally maintenance payments stay the same regardless of any money the dependent child may be earning, but this is a link to the CSA website.

https://www.dad.info/child-maintenance/the-child-maintenance-service?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5tz6hqqO2AIVRxDTCh2bGwfhEAAYASAAEgJhevD_BwE

There's always a chance your ex may be fraudulently claiming benefits as well, but don't change the payments until you've taken advice.

If you can't afford a lawyer make an appointment with the CAB.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 04:59 am
@valish,
The divorce decree should delineate conditions of child support. if it confusing or silent your lawyer can file a suit to terminate your support.

i assume you have estranged relationship with your ex wife and child precluding negotiating a mutually acceptable agreement to discharge or modify your financial responsibilities.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:28 pm
12 credit hours= Full time
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2017 03:22 am
@PUNKEY,
That's totally irrelevant. The OP is in the UK not America, what is true in America is not always true over here.

Child benefit and child tax credit are UK benefits, not American ones which is why I gave links to sites that might actually help him.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Child working and college
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:33:24