Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 01:27 pm
@Krumple,
Now I'm even more creeped out.
Krumple

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 01:33 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Now I'm even more creeped out.

Not necessarily. Because is she the protagonist or the antagonist? The story he is going for could be exploitative or it could shed light on an aspect of humanity that people ignore. I'm just trying to figure out if that is his aim or if he is purposely trying to offend his reader.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 01:36 pm
@Krumple,
No, I'm definitely creeped out and it doesn't help to read your explanation.
Krumple

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 01:54 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

No, I'm definitely creeped out and it doesn't help to read your explanation.

Then you sound like the type to be offended just to be offended. Context is always important. If it isn't or if there is some kind of movement to prevent it then we lose not progress. You should never be afraid of any topics. Exploring them is important no matter how uncomfortable it makes you.

If a story like this is done right, it can challenge your hangups. It shouldn't just be blindly rejected because you don't like the subject matter.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 01:55 pm
@WriterDude,
WriterDude wrote:

Well how big of an age disparity is OK then? Because kids have sex too. But doesn't things like that happen in real life, and get reported?

I'm under the impression that it's better if the woman is older, is this true?

What would you say is OK girl 20, boy 14? girl 17, boy 14, girl 16, boy 15? Or what?

I don't want to read about kids having sex, period. It's cringey stuff to write about

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 02:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Even a couple of years older than the age of consent is uncomfortable for me.

Well, I dated someone of 19 and 11 months when I was 29 and 1 month. Does that make me a pervert? The age of consent in the UK is 16.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 02:24 pm
@centrox,
I'm talking fiction writing, not judging your personal life.
centrox

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I'm talking fiction writing, not judging your personal life.

There isn't anything to "judge", thank you. I have read plenty of fiction where the writer attempts to "get inside the head" of a "bad" person, e.g. Nazis, murderers, and, as in Nabokov's book, a truly loathsome pervert. often, in so doing, managing to show us that the person depicted is human like we are, not merely a monster (and thus all the more deserving of blame). It is a considerable feat of artistic creation to do this successfully. For one thing, the author must be very sure of where he or she stands morally when drawing the portrait, so to speak, of the protagonist.

One thing I noticed in the Wikipedia article is that it states that "Lolita" is Humbert's private nickname for the girl, whose given name is Dolores. That nickname for girls and women named Dolores is standard in Spanish speaking countries, like us calling Annes "Annie", which took me aback, so thoroughly has that word become tainted in English speaking discourse.

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:32 pm
@Krumple,
Oh sure, you’re a seeker of understanding and I’m a prude. Every time some one want to convince another person they aren’t ‘open minded’ about sexuality it usually means they have something repellant they desperately want to talk about.
Krumple

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:41 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Oh sure, you’re a seeker of understanding and I’m a prude. Every time some one want to convince another person they aren’t ‘open minded’ about sexuality it usually means they have something repellant they desperately want to talk about.

Maybe. But once again, the context of the story is more important or interesting to me than the act itself. You shouldn't mistake that I am in some way accepting the behavior as okay just because I'm not rejecting the author who wants to write about the topic.

If he is attempting to just use it to provoke the reader. Then it's just shallow knee jerking going on with no substance. But if there is a premise underneath it all then why can't it be explored?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 04:07 pm
I don't care how good the writing, I refuse to read novels involving sex with children.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 05:56 pm
As the author, you can create whatever situations and characters you choose. In order for the story to be credible, you need to realistically assess the consequences of the actions your characters take.

A sexual relationship between a 14-year-old boy and a woman in her mid-twenties could lead the story in a direction you don't want it to go. What about an 18-year old boy and a woman pushing 30? At least this is legal and won't offend anyone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:55 pm
@WriterDude,
WriterDude wrote:
The boy gets infatuated with her, and she lets things go where they naturally go.

nope right there
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:56 pm
@WriterDude,
WriterDude wrote:
The boy gets infatuated with her, and she lets things go where they naturally go.

if everyone had sex with everyone who was infatuated/had a crush, it would be too ridiculous for words

crushes/infatuations don't naturally go to sex
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:59 pm
@centrox,
30 years ago a friend of ours (in his 30's . he was a tiny bit older than most of us) was dating a woman in her late teens. he couldn't figure out why she didn't fit into our group. uhhh we have nothing in common with her. you're having sex with her. we're not, so we can see that she's a kid intellectually. it was so weird and awkwar.d
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 08:00 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
often, in so doing, managing to show us that the person depicted is human like we are

that so rarely works for me that I'd say it doesn't work
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 02:12 am
@WriterDude,
It's quite possible to write such a story without detailing the sex at all. That would not be a thinly disguised attempt at writing erotica for paedophiles. What you're planning could very well be.

If you're serious about exploring the social dynamics and betrayal then leave the graphic depictions of sex out. You might get people other than paedophiles willing to read it.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 04:20 pm
It sounds like the Mary Kay Letourneau story.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:27 am
@ehBeth,
Any coming of age story should have a boy experiencing his first sex with an older experienced woman. (EG , farm boy of 17 going on 18, and a farm girl in her mid 20's)
She has to be a character we return to throughout the book but it can open with him just having gotten laid an we are introduced to both characters as she forces him to smoke his first cigarette.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 05:31 am
@WriterDude,
Its a good premise. THERE ARE NO RULES unless the writing's done sans skill.

look at the story of Charlie Starkweather or