Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:23 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 4
No top replies

graffiti

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:03 am
Your comments are not unusual. The Lennon/McCartney songs are what defined the Beatles, however, Harrison contributed some wonderful pieces even then.

After the breakup of the Beatles, he definitely came into his own.

Allow me to add that I very much enjoyed it when, in the 1980's, he teamed up with Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison as The Travelling Wilburys.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:38 am
THe Beatles were great. I love them all and love most of the songs, regardless of who got credit.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
George's songs were from the heart, I love em all, Lennons songs were according to his mood, if he felt like taking the mickey he would do it (see I am the Walrus thread)

George was a class songwriter who was serious about what he wrote, Lennon and Macca often wrote rubbish imho, I.E. Norwegian wood, hey Jude, Walrus, Lucy in the sky, to name but a few, all of which are indecipherable. Many people dont care about whether the lyrics make sense, I cant see the sense of a song if I dont know what it means,but thats just old fashioned me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:31 am
My take:
George was awed by the power of Lennon & McCartney in the early days. I believe they overshadowed him to the extent that he tried in vain to get songs on the early albums.

The first Harrison song I heard on a Beatles album was "Don't Bother Me" which certainly wasn't commercial but showed the promise of his writing skills.

I have to add that I found his guitar sound strange and unappealing for a long time. Finally I realized that he more than any other Beatle defined the Beatles sound. His guitar style was pure genius.

When he collaborrated with Eric Clapton on the song "Badge", George hit his stride and was no longer barred from contributing songs. He became an equal.

And finally. "Something", I believe, is his crowning achievement. One of the loveliest and most powerful love songs ever written.
0 Replies