Is it honorable to force men or women to wear veils or any particular garment?

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 07:35 pm
Is it honorable to force men or women to wear veils or any particular garment?

I ask this question, because forcing people to do so, seems to go against the notions of freedom, liberty, equality and fraternity. It is an insult to our fiduciary duty to each other and is responsible for many honor killings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvdqNU8rX4

In many countries, be it a religious, political or social custom; women and men are forced to wear particular garments;, veils hijabs, or beards are three examples of this.

Does this practice of using force go against our fiduciary duty to women and men?

The Golden Rules or some form of reciprocity exists in most religions and cultures.

No one likes to be forced to do anything, this is irrefutable. In some cultures, force is used to have men and women kowtow to the culture or religion. This is a poor and immoral ideology.

I believe that obliging or forcing people to submit to any political, social or religious norm, including forcing various apparel, --- without a just cause, --- is immoral.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 361 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 03:02 am
@Greatest I am,
On the basis that what we call 'self; is a social construct and 'selves; operate within the domain of their social comfort zone, the words 'force' and 'honour' tend only to be negatively used by outsiders from different social backgrounds. Social conditioning starts at birth. and the child has little or no control over it, so unless you are going to argue against parochial 'parental rights' the argument regarding clothing at least, becomes futile. However as for parental rights over the child's physiology as in circumscision or piercing is concerned, the argument becomes problematic since general 'human rights' imposed by the state, could be said to take precedence over parochial ones.
Greatest I am

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 10:44 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

On the basis that what we call 'self; is a social construct and 'selves; operate within the domain of their social comfort zone, the words 'force' and 'honour' tend only to be negatively used by outsiders from different social backgrounds. Social conditioning starts at birth. and the child has little or no control over it, so unless you are going to argue against parochial 'parental rights' the argument regarding clothing at least, becomes futile. However as for parental rights over the child's physiology as in circumscision or piercing is concerned, the argument becomes problematic since general 'human rights' imposed by the state, could be said to take precedence over parochial ones.

You did not speak directly to the issue but I do not think we have an argument.

Regards
DL
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 10:50 am
@Greatest I am,
In the United States we force men and women to wear clothes. If you walk naked in the streets of Boston, you will be arrested. In some cases, exposing certain body parts is considered an "assault" and will result in jail and a lifetime of public shame that can impact your ability to have a normal social life or get a job. Of course, we are socialized to wear clothes since infancy, so for most of us this cultural practice isn't a problem.

I don't see any problem with forcing people living in America to respect the cultural mores of our society.
fresco

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 12:12 pm
@Greatest I am,
No. I am deconstructing your argument. It is a truism to say 'force is immoral'. But it is ignorant to think ' women wearing specific apparel' equates to 'being forced'. The more general issue might be whether 'institutionalised male chauvinism' is 'moral', but that phrase itself already implies a negative value judgement and therefore also implies a tautology. I suggest therefore your 'Golden Rule' is vacuous.
Greatest I am

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:18 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

In the United States we force men and women to wear clothes. If you walk naked in the streets of Boston, you will be arrested. In some cases, exposing certain body parts is considered an "assault" and will result in jail and a lifetime of public shame that can impact your ability to have a normal social life or get a job. Of course, we are socialized to wear clothes since infancy, so for most of us this cultural practice isn't a problem.

I don't see any problem with forcing people living in America to respect the cultural mores of our society.

Neither do I. There is a just cause for it, which is not the case when religions force people to wear certain garb.

Can you not see the difference, given the Honor killings?

Regards
DL

0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:19 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No. I am deconstructing your argument. It is a truism to say 'force is immoral'. But it is ignorant to think ' women wearing specific apparel' equates to 'being forced'. The more general issue might be whether 'institutionalised male chauvinism' is 'moral', but that phrase itself already implies a negative value judgement and therefore also implies a tautology. I suggest therefore your 'Golden Rule' is vacuous.

Not as much as your reply.

Regards
DL
fresco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:46 am
@Greatest I am,
That's because you don't understand it. Your 'Golden Rule' amounts to no more than the statement 'immorality is immoral'. The central issue is one of culture clashes and moral relativism with repect to demographic migration. You appear to be assuming that 'morality' is an absolute. You probably need to go back to Kant's 'categorical imperatives' for that ball game.
Greatest I am

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:14 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

That's because you don't understand it. Your 'Golden Rule' amounts to no more than the statement 'immorality is immoral'. The central issue is one of culture clashes and moral relativism with repect to demographic migration. You appear to be assuming that 'morality' is an absolute. You probably need to go back to Kant's 'categorical imperatives' for that ball game.

I believe that all morals are subjective so stop putting your B.S. in my mouth.

You can keep all your psychobabble to yourself and that might make more sense of what you put.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is it honorable to force men or women to wear veils or any particular garment?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:39:04