made the case for racial profiling

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 08:02 pm

Does "made the case for racial profiling" mean "explained it in racist words"?

Context:
Trump doesn’t always use the phrase as a compliment. As a presidential candidate, for example, the Republican did a Fox News interview in which he made the case for racial profiling. Referring to airport security, Trump said, “They want you to look at a woman who’s in a wheelchair that’s 88 years old and barely making it and, let’s say, comes out of Sweden, she’s supposed to be treated the same way as a guy that looks just like the guy that just got captured, who’s central casting for profiling. Everybody’s supposed to be treated equally. Well, it doesn’t work that way.”

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 324 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 09:01 pm
@oristarA,
No.

- When you are "making a case" for a policy, you are making an argument that the policy or practice is justified.

- "Racial profiling" is when police look at someone's race to determine how much of a risk they are to commit a crime.

So the writer of this article is claiming that the "Republican" was making an argument that using someone's race to determine how much of a risk they are is justified.
oristarA

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 01:12 am
@maxdancona,
Thank you.

Another question:

Does "barely making it and, let’s say, comes out of Sweden" mean "almost unsuccessful and, for example, (she, the old lady) is from Sweden"?

PS. "who’s central casting for profiling" is also confusing to me.
najmelliw

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 05:22 am
@oristarA,
It's been said before, Trump has a way of mangling words into some sort of Trumpspeak. He might not be the best case study for mastering control of the English language. Still, here's my two cents.

'Barely making it' is probably in reference to the age and the fact that she is in the wheelchair. Trump is implying she could hardly be a threat if she can barely move and is close to death,

central casting could be interpreted as 'prime subject matter' I suppose in this sense. Trump states that this man should be a prime target for profiling, due to his looks (he 'looks' like the guy that has just been captured after all).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 08:10 pm
@oristarA,
- "barely making it" is an idiom that means "barely surviving". The suggestion is of an old lady who is frail and weak (and thus not a threat).

- "comes out of Sweden" is painting the image of someone who doesn't look like they come from the Middle East (the implication being that someone from Sweden is not going to be a terrorist).

- "Central casting" is a phrase used in the Movie Industry. It is a place to find people who fit a certain stereotype. If you are making a movie that has a Native American village and you need people who look like Native Americans to be in the village, you would go to central casting to get actors to play these parts.

The point is that there are people who fit the stereotype for Middle Eastern Terrorists (i.e. they would be the type of people you would get from central casting to play the part of terrorists in your movie).

He is arguing that the police and security guards should be focusing on people who look like stereotypical terrorists, rather than worrying about an old, frail, White woman in a wheelchair.

I am just helping you understand the English. I will leave the politics to others.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 08:47 pm
Thank you.

Does "for profiling" mean "for analyzing/studying"? Or does it mean "because of his/her characteristics"?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 08:52 pm
@oristarA,
The phrase is "racial profiling". It means attempting to use someone's race, or racial appearance, to judge how likely they are to be a criminal or a terrorist.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » made the case for racial profiling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:29:36