Can you deduct sales tax?

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
This is probably a dumb question, but if you keep every receipt over the year and keep track of every penny that you've spent on sales tax, can you write it off from your taxes owed at the end of the year if you've already paid an income tax?

Or, do you just have to live with being double taxed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,768 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:37 pm
It's not deductible for income tax on a personal return. Business, yes.

Long time, no see, roverroad.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:10 pm
Oh, maybe I should register for a business license for my personal affairs Rolling Eyes

Thanks, I log in a lot, just haven't posted much lately.

Rov
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:07 pm
Effective this year (2004 1040 personal income tax), if you itemize deductions, you have the option of deducting state and local income tax or state and local sales tax. You can deduct either actual sales tax or use the table in Pub. 600.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:15 pm
Upon rereading your question, I am confused. Any federal income taxes that you have already paid are deducted from the amount that you must send to the IRS, and if you end with a negative figure, the IRS will send a refund.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:21 pm
Flyboy, I have a full time job and my income taxes are deducted by my employer, therefore the money I spend has already been taxed once. That's why I was wondering if you can deduct the taxes that you've paid on sales tax at the end of the year since it is a double tax.

Thanks,
Rov
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:31 pm
Roverroad, there's no double taxation involved here. The money that your employer has withheld (and forwarded to the IRS) is credited as part of your payment. If the amount withheld exceeds what you compute as being owed, you will receive a refund from the IRS. If not, you only pay the difference. It sounds as though you are a first time income tax payer. If so, this will probably become clear to you when you see your Income tax form.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:58 pm
You don't understand the question. Thanks anyway, Roger already told me what I need to know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:34 pm
Embarrassed I did a quick search on IRS Pub 600. Flyboy is correct, and roger is a year out of date. Sorry for the misinformation.

Quote:
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:14 am
roger wrote:
it may give a larger deduction to any taxpayer who paid more in sales taxes than income taxes

Well that counts me out. Thanks for the info!
0 Replies