Plane or Plain in the context of fairness

jonagpa

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 03:14 pm
Hello,
Wondering if someone can shine some light into the proper way to express fairness in the context of a competition. I can't find the correct expression using google which is making me doubt if it is even a common expression. I could swear I have heard the term level plane or level plain to mean when things are fair for everyone involve. For example: the bad ref was suspended creating a level plane / level plain for the teams.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 482 • Replies: 8

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 03:30 pm
In Britain we often talk about a "level playing field", meaning a situation in which everyone has the same chance of succeeding. Maybe that's what you heard?

jonagpa

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:01 pm
@centrox,
Ive thought about this and I think its possible it has origins in this expression, but I think its still its own. I guess a better question is, how would you say it:
level plain society
level plane society
roger

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:20 pm
@jonagpa,
When I see the word 'plane', I normally think of airplanes. If something is flat or level, I would use plain.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:25 pm
@jonagpa,
Level playing field is correct, although it sounds like plain or plane. I think this is true in all english speaking nations, or I'm a monkey's uncle.

Words that sound alike are called homophones.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:31 pm
@jonagpa,
jonagpa wrote:

Ive thought about this and I think its possible it has origins in this expression, but I think its still its own. I guess a better question is, how would you say it:
level plain society
level plane society

You mean "how would you write it", since "plain" and "plane" sound identical, and you would say them the same. Maybe it's a local English expression in your country, India maybe? Or you misheard it. Certainly not used in mainstream English. If you insist, "plain" is geographic, and "plane" is geometric.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:32 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
When I see the word 'plane', I normally think of airplanes. If something is flat or level, I would use plain.

Quote:
Plane
noun
a flat surface on which a straight line joining any two points on it would wholly lie.
"the horizontal plane"

Quote:
Plain
noun
a large area of flat land with few trees.
"the coastal plain"

roger

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:36 pm
@centrox,
Thank you
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2017 04:38 pm
You might be able to adjust an inclined plane to make it level; you definitely can't adjust a plain, which is, in any case, flat already.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Plane or Plain in the context of fairness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:28:51