show (up), help (out), be closed (down)

Lim

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:09 am
Hi
I have a question about the differecne between:
1. show and show up
2. help and help out
3. be closed and be closed down

Those are all about the verb with an adverb and without it.
I frequently found those verbs well know as 'phrasal verb' but I totally cannot tell the difference btw those two usages.

In advance, Thank you for your answers.

View best answer, chosen by Lim
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 02:00 am
@Lim,
Show has quite a few meanings, depending on whether it's used as a verb or noun. I suspect you're looking for the most common meaning which would be to let someone see something. As in " I'll show you my pet hamster."

To show someone up is to ridicule them, or point out their failings, usually publically. It has a very specific meaning.

Helping someone out is also very specific and implies quite a lot of help and quite a lot of hardship. You would help out a homeless person or a victim of a crime. Just helping on its own is not as strong. Helping someone by holding a ladder for them is not the same as helping them out.

If somewhere is closed down it means they've finished doing business for good. If they're closed it may be because it's outside of opening hours, but if they're closed down then they're finished.

Again, all the phrases you have chosen have specific meanings, yet the individual words can have many meanings depending on context.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 03:20 am
Intransitive show up is American for the British turn up, to arrive when expected.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 03:34 am
@centrox,
I'd forgotten about that one.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:10 am
I believe if an American toddler shows out, it's what Brits call showing off
roger

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:38 am
@centrox,
Never heard 'shows out' in America.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:09 am
@Lim,
Unfortunately, there is no trick to these phrasal verbs. English has a lot of them. They don't make sense. You just have to memorize them. No one can explain why you fill out a form, or put off a doctors appointment, or break up with your girlfriend, or pick up your kids from school. These phrases are just things we use without ever thinking about them.

I didn't know what a "phrasal verb" was until I started helping people learn English. If you ask an American (Or a Brit I imagine) to explain them, they won't really know what you are talking about... you never see the quirks in your native language.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Never heard 'shows out' in America.

To Hell and Back
By Michael Jackson
(not the rock star)
Not just small kids, it seems...
https://images2.imgbox.com/64/9f/MOXICIMC_o.jpg
roger

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 02:42 pm
@centrox,
Okay, now I've heard it. Once.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:16 pm
Be that as it may, an interesting book is in Google Books:

The Two-word Verb: A Dictionary of the Verb-preposition Phrases in American English

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YrkDn8HtQNAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22George+A.+Meyer%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhm7XU3sbXAhWmCMAKHcfSC9gQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » show (up), help (out), be closed (down)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:51:40