Why use Roman numerals in Film & TV credits?

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:09 am
Can anyone explain why films & TV programs use Roman numerals at the end of the credits, alongside the copyright info?

Cheers!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 16,609 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:27 pm
Quote:
Perhaps one of the most notable areas where people are likely to come across Roman numerals is in TV and film credits, where the convention is not to spell out what year something was made.

It is a convention which has extended even to BBC News Online - witness the MMII at the bottom of this page.

The practice is believed to have started in an attempt to disguise the age of films or television programmes. In other words, the opposite of claiming an undeserved antiquity.

(source)

recently the film & TV industries have abandoned the Romans...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:42 pm
Good question. I always used to get pissed when I attempted to figure out the year of a film, and couldn't! Sad
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:48 pm
I kind of miss it, if they've stopped. I would try to race through my feeble mind to remember what some of them meant, but of course the screen would change before I could do it.

One place where we can expect the Roman numeral to continue to be used: for numbering the Super Bowl.
0 Replies

Jonathan Ma

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:09 pm
I ofent go to drink. On hearing of drinking party,
I burst into laughing.Because I thought of our needs. The party is about pet's sudden death.
However, I always drink too much. Yesterday I got
drunk again. But I will say :Never mind.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:44 am
Thanks to RP for his speedy answer, spoilt only by my tardy reply!

Phoenix/D'art - I play the same game as well. It's not so much of a challenge for stuff made in MM or afterwards, but the 90's could get tricky. MCMXCI gave me trouble last night...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:09 am
Re: Why use Roman numerals in Film & TV credits?
Grand Duke wrote:
Can anyone explain why films & TV programs use Roman numerals at the end of the credits, alongside the copyright info?

It's done for the same reason in older books on the copyright page.... so the viewer /reader can't readily determine the age of the material. I suppose the thinking is that most people don't know Roman numerals. Quite silly really.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bec-21

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:49 pm
@Grand Duke,
that's what i am trying to find out
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 02:01 am
@Bec-21,
Well, read the preceding posts and you'll know.
0 Replies