I am the Walrus

Don1

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:54 am
On another site I frequent I just read a post by a member there about Lennon's song "Walrus" he thought it was "deep" and difficult to interpret.

He's right, it is difficult to interpret, but not because it's deep, allow me to explain.

Here in Lancashire the truth about "Walrus" has been common knowledge for a long time, here it is.

Lennon was irritated by psuedo-intellectuals trying to interpret his lyrics and coming up with the most fanciful ideas which were so far wide of the mark as to be claptrap.

So "Walrus" was born as a typical John Lennon p**s take.

When it was released he said to his friend Pete Shotton "lets see the f****** idiots analyse that.

If you thought for the last 40 years there was a message there, I'm sorry to dispel the image people. Mr. Green
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
I always thought that. Thanks for justifying my feelings. Smile Goo goo ga joob.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:15 pm
I am he and you are me and we are all together...and here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul looking through a glass onion...

It may or may not have meant anything to John, but I never trust any artist's commentary on his own work. I think Paul McCartney said Yesterday was inspired by scrambled eggs.

And I HAVE HIM ON DVD saying that Blackbird was inspired by black girls and the civil rights movement, no kidding, it's Back in the USA dvd.

So....let the artists say what they will...the art flows out of them with a mind of its own...

Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive...
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
I remember when Kurt Cobain died and people were calling him the John Lennon of his generation I thought how lucky I was that the John Lennon of my generation was John Lennon.....
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:01 pm
Indeed, but some lost little souls didn't exist at the same time as Lennon. I think Cobain was unique and thousands of kids cry his tears every day. He is missed and he did land on this planet as heavily as Lennon. Difficult to distinquish the impact of them both. What I do know is we will NEVER see their likes again. We've hit saturation point which really makes Cobain the last of the true Rock'n'Roll generation. You've gotta be born at the right time, in the right place, with the right friends, with a troubled background and die at the right time. Chances are one in a billion. No more heroes any more!

Cobanian Rhapsody. Listen to the Queen lyrics now.

Semolina Pilchards!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm
Cobain didn't effect people like Lennon. To compare them is disgraceful.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:05 pm
You had one eye on the mirror as
You watched your head gavotte
And Courtney Love dreamed that
She'd spend your money
She'd spend your money.. and...
Kurt Cobain
You probably think this song is about you....
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 12:57 pm
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 11:17 pm
shut the f**k up donnie.
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 04:56 am
Donnie?
Anybody know what he's on about?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:17 am
imperialracing wrote:
Donnie?
Anybody know what he's on about?

Buggered if I do imperial.
Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:22 pm
I've always been of the opinion you don't have to know the meaning of every lyric you like. Many are too ambiguous to mean any one thing anyway.
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 05:03 am
Yeah, I think the lyrics mean exactly what they mean to YOU! I've written close on 200 songs and I get all sorts of explanations for them, some of them seem far better than the topics I had chosen. It really is how you feel at the time. I saw a programme the other day with a bunch of English professors analysing Bohmian Rhapsody. I wonder if they wake up every morning and analyse their dreams? Far too much time on their hands. Guys, just sit back, roll up a fat one, and experience sheer magic!
Goo goo ga joob!
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:50 am
I think...that every artist is pretty serious about his artistic output, but "art" by definition is subtle, like it has to sneak past your conscious mind, to where the subconscious lives...

And those who want to "explain"...well it seems like they are trying to kill the art to some, like ripping off the clothes, it seems indecent or disrespectful...and it would be, if someone explained it so much it became one hard cold meaning and no one could think anything else...but art is not like that, it is always free...and so are all those who appreciate it...

Some who want to explain...like me...just want some fellowship around that bit of art...to find an Other who can see the same thing and we can be happy about it together for a little bit...some of the greatest joy I've had in life is just being glad about the same thing with someone else...

I love to tell what I see in lyrics/films/poetry/books etc...but I can see how that can be annoying to people who prefer to keep the subconscious and conscious separate...and surely they are SUPPOSED to be separate, few of us really understand the deep insides of ourselves...but I think the great artists have found a way to tap the subconscious and join it to their conscious minds...

Some of them, like Lennon maybe, can just put the conscious mind to sleep and let the subconscious do the talking..

I am the walrus to me...is saying...Lennon had been to the top of the world and surveyed everthing, and "vanity vanity", he was finished with the rat race and a bit disgusted with people still in it...I think people have to race like rats to live, we need stuff, don't work don't eat...but to never think of anything else is to be minus human. I don't think Lennon had given up on meaning, just that if you follow meaning faithfully you wind up going around in circles or something.

I watched A Hard Day's Night for the first time this week...don't know WHY I never watched it before...very different now, back then, it looked like there were these joyous young people and these sad tired silly old people, and of course the old people had never been young, they were two completely different breeds, LOLOLOL....
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:12 pm
imperialracing wrote:
Yeah, I think the lyrics mean exactly what they mean to YOU! I've written close on 200 songs and I get all sorts of explanations for them, some of them seem far better than the topics I had chosen. It really is how you feel at the time. I saw a programme the other day with a bunch of English professors analysing Bohmian Rhapsody. I wonder if they wake up every morning and analyse their dreams? Far too much time on their hands. Guys, just sit back, roll up a fat one, and experience sheer magic!
Goo goo ga joob!

i agree with this statemant and, for me as an artist, it works the same way for any form of "art". if you have to have someone explain it to you, it takes away from whatever response the artist intended you to have. it's your response...good or bad...not some critic's that matters.

people tend to forget that for the most part rock criticism didn't even start til the beatles came along. after the debacle of people trying to analyze "lucy in the sky with diamonds" (which went on endlessly, i saved some of the articles that were printed at the time), it stands to reason that lennon would have thought "you want something to try to analyze..i'll give it to you". i can just see him laughing everytime he saw some of the things they wrote about this song back then.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:12 pm
Quote:
shut the f**k up donnie.

your out of your element

LMFAO good one dude
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:20 pm
Kristie wrote:
Cobain didn't effect people like Lennon. To compare them is disgraceful.

You're comparing them...that's cool. Perhaps if you were 15 when Cobain offed himself you'd feel differently. Perhaps :wink:
0 Replies

imperialracing

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:50 pm
0 Replies