Has a book ever changed your life?

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 10:18 am
This probably sounds absurd but I think my whole personality was heavily influened by my love of "Harriet The Spy".
0 Replies

dovle

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:49 am
This is not my first time getting in this kind of 'trobble'. But it was quite a long time ago since I had this feeling, so now I really enjoy it.
I had this problem when I have started Dune (it was some 10 years ago) and I have finished in no time. And also with the "Ender's Game" Smile. Tolkien did the same to me. Also DarkTower and so on... wow quite a long list of books that kept me locked.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:58 am
After reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X in my 20s, I could never again look at life in the United States the same.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:13 am
My new mental image of Boomer:

http://www.celiathepoet.org/hsspy.gif

I love all the "tools" at her disposal.

And, from a review of the book: "This is the story the honest, independent individual learning to turn her truth into art."

I can SOOO see that in you, Boomer. How fitting! Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:14 am
snood wrote:
After reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X in my 20s, I could never again look at life in the United States the same.

I felt the same way after reading "The Spook Who Sat By The Door" in my early 20's.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:14 am
Snood - I will have to check that out. Is it fitting for teens? Something they may glean from it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:33 am
Oh my gosh. I've never quite noticed the physical resemblence I have to Harriet but I swear - trade her notebook for a camera and you have my 11 year old self.

Age her 30 years, let her wear pants in the right length, put her tools in a backpack, and you have me now right down to the sneakers.

I AM Harriet!

And I love that quote. Thank you for that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
snood wrote:

squinney wrote:
Snood - I will have to check that out. Is it fitting for teens? Something they may glean from it?

I read it when I was 18 or 19 ... I thought it was a positively fascinating read. Really engaging and thought-provoking - and, to my surprise, a real how do you call it? Spellbinder? Couldnt lay it down.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:53 pm
I was never much of a reader in my young days; so I would just say becoming a reader in general changed my life.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
I must say the book that changed my perspective and understanding would be Plato's The Republic.
What I liked the most is the constant logical questioning, the philosophical attitude toward civilisation and the fact that Socrates is involved.
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:13 am
When I started University, I read "The Revolt of the Masses" by Jose Ortega y Gasset. That book led me in a conservative direction and I have found many other writers who agree with Ortega y Gasset. I will never forget reading his line:

"The mob revolts and searches for bread and, in the process, wrecks the bakeries"
0 Replies

MusketeerGirl

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:53 pm
Yes. A book has changes my life.
Called: "The Holy Bible".
It's really great,..you should try it! Smile
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 04:56 am
There have been quite a few books that have changed my life. The most memorable is The Lord of the Rings. I think, oddly enough, it helped to mold my political and moral values. I know that Tolkien has said that he absolutely hates allegory, and that tLotR is not meant as any sort of Christian allegory. And I'm not one of those who likes to think that Gandalf represents Jesus, and Sauron represents Satan. But for me, The Lord of the Rings really is a Christian book, with Christian themes: the ultimate struggle of good versus evil, the harrowing effects of greed and the corruption of power, and the hidden wisdom to be found in the humble to name a few. I've read it several times, and it really saddens me that the movies fail to capture this sense of the books, which to me is the ultimate message beyond the fun and excitement of all the battle and creatures from another world. But thats just my humble opinion.

On another note, I recently read a book called "The Lovers of Algeria" by Anouar Benmalek. It's originally in French. And though my French is very workable, I opted to read it in English. Even the translation is beatiful. I have made a very special friend here in France (Im studying abroad for the semester) who is originally from Algeria. This book helped me to understand all the pain and violence he has seen in his teen years (the 90's). It also helped me to understand terrorism from more than just a distanced politically driven stance, and more from a personal, fear driven stance. It helped me to understand that relationships between Arabs and Europeans aren't always easy, and though my friend is not Arab (he's Kabyle), I still fear for our future because of our differences. But this book is hopeful. It is amazingly beautiful, with several storylines that speak of violence, deep love, fear, loss, and rebirth. I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND this book to anyone interested in the issues that Algeria has faced since WWII, the War of Independence, and the rise of Terrorist Regimes.

Well, sorry my post is so long, but those are two books of many which have changed my life. Thank you. BTW, I study literature, so my enthusiasm may be a bit exaggerated :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 01:07 pm
daniellejean--

Welcome to A2K. Long posts are most acceptable here.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:24 pm
Re: Has a book ever changed your life?
Green Witch wrote:
In the mid-80's I was working in NYC in the high tech/financial area, making decent $, putting in long hours and living a typical urban lifestyle. While browsing in a used book store I came across the simple living classic "The Good Life" by Scott & Helen Nearing. Read it - thought: "this sounds like a really cool way to live" and within 3 years I bought a small farm and said goodbye to the metropolis (I do visit to get a culture fix occasionally). I now work only 7 months out of the year as a garden designer and plant nursery owner. If it wasn't for my DH keeping this computer updated I would be writing with pen and paper.

Anyone else have a life changing epiphany from a book?

Green Witch - I lived in Maine in Blue Hill very close to where Helen and Scott Nearing lived. They also have a sequel, Living the Good Life
which is as inspiring. It's an incredibly beautiful part of the country they chose.

As a teen - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers inspired me. I loved the friendship that developed between the lonely, hearing young girl and the middle-aged deaf man. Though it was unspeakably sad - it inspired me to become a teacher and advocate for children with special needs and adopt my beautiful daughter who has a hearing loss.
Also love Beloved by Toni Morrison. Anything she writes inspires me to write, but that book is perhaps her most beautifully written. I love the way she uses language.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:05 pm
Not a book, but a short story: "A Mother's Tale" by James Agee... I became vegetarian after i read it, and have been for seven years now. I know a change of diet doesn't sound life-changing, but for me it has been! I view the world in a different way now. "Vegetarianism is my religion, and in it is my protest against the conduct of the world." --Isaac Bashevis Singer
0 Replies