What is a word for "at that time"?

dabod15

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:45 pm
The sentence is: "It was for these reasons I found myself at my desk Sunday night cramming half a unit's worth of statistics in my head before a 9am test the next day, and worrying about the four chapters of biology I was going to have to read for Tuesday's test which would be a few hours after the [at that time] unfinished presentation I was going to have to present Tuesday morning in psychology.

At the time of writing this I have finished the presentation, but it was incomplete when I was cramming.

View best answer, chosen by dabod15
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:52 pm
That sentence is too long and too complicated.

Break it up and you can get a better sense of sequence and time.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:02 pm
@dabod15,
Quote:
. . .after the [at that time] unfinished presentation. . .

You could use 'then' instead of "at that time".

By the way, I agree with Punkey about the complexity of the sentence.
0 Replies

dabod15

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
I made the sentence that way intentionally to give the reader a feeling of the mental commotion at the time. That's why I need this word which I can't find anywhere and I'm afraid doesn't exist.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 10:47 pm
I suppose you didn't find my answer satisfactory.
ascribbler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 11:36 pm
@roger,
Then again.

If it was unfinished, it was unfinished (at that time).
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 06:48 am
after the then unfinished .....
0 Replies

najmelliw
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 07:01 am
@dabod15,
dabod15 wrote:

The sentence is: "It was for these reasons I found myself at my desk Sunday night cramming half a unit's worth of statistics in my head before a 9am test the next day, and worrying about the four chapters of biology I was going to have to read for Tuesday's test which would be a few hours after the [at that time] unfinished presentation I was going to have to present Tuesday morning in psychology.

At the time of writing this I have finished the presentation, but it was incomplete when I was cramming.

I agree with Punkey, it's too long and unwieldy. Breaking it up would make more sense, but, if you don't here's what I'd turn it into:

"It was for these reasons that I found myself at my desk Sunday night cramming half a unit's worth of statistics in my head for a 9am test the next day, all the while worrying about the as of yet/then unfinished presentation I was going to have to give Tuesday morning in psychology and the four chapters of biology I was going to have to read for the biology test a few hours after this presentation."
jespah

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 07:42 am
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

dabod15 wrote:

I agree with Punkey, it's too long and unwieldy. Breaking it up would make more sense, but, if you don't here's what I'd turn it into:

"It was for these reasons that I found myself at my desk Sunday night cramming half a unit's worth of statistics in my head for a 9am test the next day, all the while worrying about the as of yet/then unfinished presentation I was going to have to give Tuesday morning in psychology and the four chapters of biology I was going to have to read for the biology test a few hours after this presentation."

Or

"This is why I was at my desk Sunday night cramming half a unit's worth of statistics in my head for a 9am test the next day. This was while worrying about the as still unfinished presentation I had to give Tuesday morning in psychology, and the four chapters of biology I had to read for the biology test a few hours after this presentation."
najmelliw

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 07:49 am
@jespah,
Yours is better(not surprising, since you're an author and all!), but, it also breaks the sentence into two Smile.

Naj.
jespah

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 08:03 am
@najmelliw,
Heh, thanks. It's a horrible run-on. You kind of forget where it starts by the time you hit the end. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 08:45 am
@dabod15,
You could replace "[at that time]" with "currently", or "presently".
0 Replies

dabod15

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 12:18 pm
@roger,
Yours was a good answer but I thought there was a word used specifically for this instance that I didn't know.
0 Replies

Darkangel13

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 01:14 pm
@dabod15,
Presently
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 07:19 am
@dabod15,
The words in the brackets are unnecessary, as are any [and all] replacements.

Quote:
It was for these reasons I found myself at my desk Sunday night cramming half a unit's worth of statistics in my head before a 9am test the next day, and worrying about the four chapters of biology I was going to have to read for Tuesday's test which would be a few hours after the [at that time] unfinished presentation I was going to have to present Tuesday morning in psychology.

For these reasons, I found myself cramming half a unit's worth of statistics into my head on the Sunday night before a 9am test the next day, worrying about the unfinished presentation in psychology due Tuesday morning, and dreading the four chapters of biology I had to read for an exam a few hours after that.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is a word for "at that time"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:33:04