Expression describing an annoying habit of preferring to eat fanciful food instead of regular food

iandu76

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 05:15 am
What word (ie. adjective) and any expression that can be used to describe a person especially a child has an annoying habit of preferring to eat fanciful food (i.e. Sweets, cakes, etc.) instead of regular food (i.e. rice, etc usually eaten as a meal)for a meal. Hope I am understood.

View best answer, chosen by iandu76
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 08:26 am
@iandu76,
That person would "have a sweet tooth."
iandu76

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 01:55 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks for the useful information. Can that phrase "Sweet tooth" be used for, when "The term "fanciful food" implies some kind of "fancy" version of ordinary food, that would usually requires more effort or special ingredients to make. For example a quiche instead of an omelet." Exactly that is what I was trying to describe. Could you suggest a word or any expression in a disapproving way to describe such habit. Especially said by a parent to a child when such behaviour is observed.
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 02:02 am
@iandu76,
Sweet tooth would only apply to sweets, usually desserts like pie, cake, and maybe candies. A person preferring fanciful food might be epicurean or gourmet, depending on context and exactly what you mean. I'm not sure you would describe such a person as either a habit or annoying.
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 06:16 am
@iandu76,
Why are you asking so many questions about a child's eating habits?
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 07:45 am
If you are trying to encourage a child to eat more nutritious food, then just say @ Let's try this yummy xxxx. It has lots of good things in it to try."

Never shame a child's eating habits. That can cause eating disorders. Put "approved" things in front of them and allow choices.
iandu76

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 10:09 am
@ascribbler,
I took the habit of speaking in English to my children to help them acquire the language at early stage, something I missed, yet struggling to speak it well. A situation I want to avoid for them. So as an English Language Learner anything I come across trying to say it in English when talking to them but can not or unsure how, then I turn to dictionaries, internet etc and forums like this one for help from native speakers. Straight to your questions, I observed annoying habit in my child's eating habit where she does not seem eager to eat ordinary food when eating her meal, but more eager to eat those which I described as "fanciful food". Which I disapprove of and want to discourage it.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 10:16 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you for the useful advice, it is noted.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 09:02 pm
@iandu76,
Your child prefers one food over the other.

That's perfectly normal.

Some mothers serve the peas before the applesauce.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Expression describing an annoying habit of preferring to eat fanciful food instead of regular food
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:34:48