IE Will Not Launch New Windows

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:35 pm
The OS on my computer is Windows98 SE. For the longest time I ran Internet Explorer 5.5 with no problems. About a week ago I was bored and installed a few upgrades, such as Adobe Reader, Flash, Quick TIme, Spybot S&D, and a few system utilities whch I tested and subsequently disgarded. All seemed well, but a few days after my upgrade frenzy, Internet Explorer 5.5 exhibited one strange and perplexing problem for which I am at a loss to find a solution.

Whenever I click on a link to open a new window, the process hangs. A window opens which is a duplicate of the original one that launched it, and simply hangs from then on. I can stop the load attempt, and the target address appears in the address bar, but the web page to which it points does not load. A refresh at this point will load the target. If the link loads into the parent window, there is no problem.

I have rebuilt IE using the Control Panel utility to no avail. I looked at all the settings and found nothing amiss. I even upgraded from IE 5.5 to 6.x sp1, but the problem still exists.

I also use Mozilla and Opera on my system, but neiter of those browsers shows the same problem as does IE. Does anyone have some suggestions about how to troubleshoot and/or repair the problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 670 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:47 pm
I had this happen once, I think I wound up reinstalling the O/S. Hate to tell you that.

What did Spybot say about your system?
0 Replies

Yogi two

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:35 pm
The OS was clean before I made the upgrade to IE 6.x.
After the upgrade Spybot, Adaware, and SpywareBlaster all found problems with IE. One item that apparently came with the upgrade CD from Microsoft installed something that altered six locations in the registry, and left a piece of malware behind. SpywareBlaster found a need to protect 243 new items after the upgrade. While this speaks volumns aboaut the garbage that Microsoft sends out, the problem with my browser was in place before I made the upgrade.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
I don't know what to tell you. Since A2K is open to Google bots, if you search on the problem, you'll probably wind up right back here.
0 Replies

Yogi two

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:53 pm
I appreciate your comments and may end up rebuilding the OS. But, I think I'll try a couple other forums before I go that route. Or just break down and get that G5 I have my eye on. LOL
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:00 pm
Sorry I'm not of more help, and welcome to A2K. Please drop by often. Smile Hopefully someone else who's had this problem will be able to give you better feedback.
0 Replies