"so never leave me lonely....let it be me"???? (who sings?)

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:35 am
Please help me think of the name of this song and who sings it, I thought it was the Righteous Brothers but no..and "let it be me" is not the name...the other words I can remember are so never leave me lonely tell me you love me only and if ....let it be me..."

Not much to go on, I know but it's driving me mad...it sounds sort of Righteous Brothers-ish...

And I'll detail my madness if anyone can help. :~)

Or not, if you prefer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,744 • Replies: 11
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
So it's not Let It Be Me which has been recorded by several artists including Jackson Browne and the Everly Brothers?

I bless the day I found you
I want to stay around you
And so I beg you, let it be me

Don't take this heaven from one
If you must cling to someone
Now and forever, let it be me

Each time we meet love
I find complete love
Without your sweet love what would life be

So never leave me lonely
Tell me you love me only
And that you'll always let it be me

Each time we meet love
I find complete love
Without your sweet love what would life be

So never leave me lonely
Tell me you love me only
And that you'll always let it be me
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm
Yes yes THANK YOU, I had thought it was the Everly Bros but no way to check...aging brain failure, means a lot to me THANK YOU, had no idea J. Browne did it too good for him!!!

A few more comments later I'm supposed to be earning a living at the moment. Smile

*prints lyrics*

And sorry about being wrong on the name but when I googled it by that name, I couldn't find it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
http://www.rfimusique.com/siteEn/biographie/biographie_6087.asp

Gilbert Bécaud - the legendary "Monsieur 100,000 volts" of the French music world - rose to fame in the 50s and enjoyed a successful career spanning more than 40 years before he passed away in December 2001. One of the most popular music French stars of all time, Bécaud performed at the Olympia music hall in Paris no less than 33 times!

Meanwhile Bécaud's international career continued to go from strength to strength, and a host of international stars were soon queuing up to record English-language versions of his songs. The phenomenal success of "What Now My Love" (the English adaptation of Bécaud's classic "Et maintenant") was followed in 1967 by Bécaud's international smash "Let It Be Me" (the English version of the singer's 1955 hit "Je t'appartiens"). All the top stars of the day including Bob Dylan, Nina Simone, Sonny and Cher and James Brown would go on to record their own versions of "Let It Be Me". Bécaud soon followed this international smash hit with another classic song, "L'important c'est la rose", which absolutely brought the house down when he performed it on stage for the first time at the Olympia on 17 November 1967. (This concert would be Bécaud's twelfth show at the legendary Paris music hall).

Bob Dylan??
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
Thanks so much for the background on the French guy...

What brought the song to my mind...a quick summary...on New Year's Eve my husband and I went to a nearby town to a beautiful old hotel that had been restored, our marriage of 28 years is not so hot but we are trying hard, our oldest son is mentally ill and it has driven us in opposite directions, trying to come to terms with it...

When we get away though things are pretty nice...unbelievably so...and this band was WONDERFUL, real artists, even though just a local band that plays locally, but they had been playing together for years and really loved what they were doing, the singer and saxophonist especially, very gifted...

They played lots of fifties and early sixties stuff, not my faves...and I asked for the Beatles...and they acted all confused but finally came through with CHAINS of all things! Not the first Beatles song anyone would think of! (Later they came back with She was just 17) And the last song was Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers... just before Auld Lang Syne...

And...it was "meaningful" to me...because we had been listening to Willie Nelson's Stardust on the way there...and the last song was Unchained Melody, we were in the middle of it...and I had never really "heard" it before...it was one of those arrow in the heart moments...

I read up on it, lyrics written when that guy was SIXTEEN!!! Supposedly about some girl he loved...but every love song sounds like "looking for God" to me now...

AND...well I suddenly wanted to rethink everything the Righteous Brothers did...You've Lost that loving feeling, Ebbtide...and I thought Let It Be Me was them too but not...and that sent me looking for it...

Just grasping for breaths of air wherever I can find them, before going down the last time...

Chains my baby's got me locked up in chains and they're not the kind that you can see...

Oh my love my darling I've hungered for your touch, are you still mine?

Johnny Cash has a great one also, Unchained...take this weight from me let my spirit be unchained...
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
as to "let it be me"
jill corey 1957
the everly brothers in 1960
the version you are thinking of might be the duo of jerry butler and betty everett in the mid-60's as that was a big hit at the time.
sonny and cher did it on an album. the righteous brothers probably did do this one too on an album. i can check for you if you want.

as to the rest of your post, it was so beautifully written. i hope that things can work out for the both of you.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
Thanks deezee...and I may try to burn a cd with as many versions as I can find...don't know if you can get that stuff at Walmart.com or itunes but I'll find out.

Of course there are a whole lot of songs that make my heart sing...but I'm surprised at how many "golden oldies" are WAY DEEPER than I ever dreamed..

My Wife and I lived all alone
In a little log hut we called our own
She loved Gin and I loved Rum
I tell you we had lots of fun
ha ha ha you and me
Little brown jug don't I love thee
Ha ha ha you and me,
Little brown jug don't I love thee...

Don't be drunk with wine be filled with the spirit...but the "wife" and the "husband" have very different spiritual needs...emotion and reason to me...

It's interesting that they each love their respective jugs rather than each other, lol...

Another one that hit me hard, Oh Susannah, Stephen Foster, the first person to make a living writing pop songs...not a GOOD living but that's how he made what he lived off of...

It rained all night the day I left
The weather it was dry
Sun's so hot I froze to death
Susannah don't you cry

Nonsense? Or reconciliation of "emotion" and "reason"...The buckwheat cake was in her mouth, the tear was in her eye, I'm coming from the south, Susannah don't you cry...

I love song lyrics. :~)

Poetry is too hard, and too complex, I don't have enough time left to "get" it...but pop lyrics I get just FINE...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
As you're starting to find out, "the song remembers when". Great synchronicity perhaps in the band choosing the old "Cookies" tune: "Chains".

http://www.hoagy.com/images/timeline2.gif

Stardust , written by Hoagy Carmichael is arguably the greatest pop song ever written and Willie's fresh version introduced it to a new generation
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
I remember...I think it was in The Spy Who Loved Me...Bond was insulted when someone told him he looked like Hoagy Carmichael, lol...

Willie Nelson said his three favorite song writers are Hoagy Carmichael, Johnny Mercer...and I forget the third, I didn't know him...

Yes kids the spy who shagged me is a reference to a Bond book, lolol...

I love everything in theory, it's the flesh and blood versions that kill me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
I often thought about pursuing a career in Marriage counselling using popular song lyrics as a Rohrschach(pronounced "ror-shock"), test.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
So you would judge by their respective responses to song lyrics whether there was any hope???

lol

But opposites attract, there IS NO HOPE, lol...if you are the same what do you need each other for?? And if you are different, how can you stand each other???

Until somebody grows up enough to love the enemy a little bit...

If you can understand the me, I can understand the you, OR ARE YOU UNFORGIVEN TOO, that's Hetfield, another "greatest songwriter", their names are LEGION...the greatest one is whoever I just listened to...put Leon Russell near the top, This Masquerade and A Song For You and Magic Mirror, doesn't get any better...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:04 pm
good picks for Leon

I'm up on a high wire...one side's ice and one side's fire...
0 Replies