Info about composer called "Taramitsu"? (Tadamitsu Saito!!!!

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:55 pm
Last night, driving home, I was riveted by some music (for piano and viola, I believe) by a composer whose name appeared to be Taramitsu.

I googled around that name - and only came up with one reference to such a composer - so someone of that name DOES exist as a composer - but I could get no information.

Does anyone know of this composer, or of someone with a similar sounding name?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:30 pm
I believe you're referring to Tadamitsu Saito.

In fact I've met the guy, and yes his music is simply awesome.

Setting was a free, live, open-air concert he performed in Meskel Square, Addis Ababa. This was the real deal as far as "live concert" was concerned. He was a one-man show & claims to have composed everything he played that night on the spot, with no ready-made background compositions. He'd go from some of the coolest, most trippy electronic music I'd heard to playing a massive organ & then back again.

Interesting you bring him up, I'll see if I can find some of his music online.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:34 pm
Monger!!!!! I adore you and kiss the ground at your wee blue tootsies!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:36 pm
What I heard was awesome indeed.

Is there anywhere you HAVEN'T been, by the way???

South Pole, mebbe?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:49 pm
Heehee - info from Italian site about him: (automatic translation)

Tadamitsu Saito is a Japanese pianista that relaxant music for song executes, pianoforte and electronics in one style much etereo. Music of its Japanese discs is situated to the border between meditation zen and guarizione of makes ill (Saito is of profession a social worker). Eight Celestial Nymphs and Having Met Light are musics that accompany two collections of photographies.

With Coming Together it has begun a career American who has carried it endured to a complex work like To Perfect Match (with Darol Anger, Michael Manring, Paul McCandless, Michael Pluznick, Robert Powell and Teja Bell), more influenced from classic music and the jazz that from the folk Japanese. In contrast the successive It' s About Time (with Bell, Manring, Steve Kindler and Jon Anderson) it is instead a disc of atmospheric, warm and relaxant POP.

Saito is to its comfort in the mystical suggestions of Cascadia (for tintinnii of pianoforte, struggenti birmane harp prayers and chorus of "om"), in the important stases of Slumber Time , with violino proteso towards acute zen and in foundation you play of is known scours to you), in the delicate impressionismo of Bamboo Rain . The cues more interesting are but perhaps those to the pianoforte, very far from the stereotypes of the new age or the world-music, spacing from the vanguard (the throbbing figures of Dance Of The Comet ) to jazz (the nocturnal topic of All My Stars ). Between the collaborators of the disc they are available Paul McCandless, Steve Kindler, Teja Bell, Michael Manring, Jon Anderson.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:50 pm
Lol! Very Happy I haven't been too far south, but I've made it as far north in Siberia as just beyond the polar circle.

Lemme see what else I remember about that event...the concert was called the Cosmic Manifesto & his stage was this massive pyramid frame structure with a $200,000 custom speaker system designed for that event hanging from the top of the pyramid. It was supposed to emulate surround sound in the open-air setting.

The best couple hundred seats (about 40,000 people attended...from the city's elite to street kids, etc.) were reserved for Japanese people, so my Japanese girlfriend & I started made our way there, then just walked through the almost non-existent security with no questions asked to the base of the pyramid itself.

After the show, Tadamitsu san walked down, wearing a white kimono, & we started talking. He seemed genuinely happy we liked the show & invited us for green tea in his tent, before he left for his hotel. 'Twas a pretty cool evening, as far as evenings go. Smile I hadn't heard of the guy before then.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:55 pm
Indeed- now trying to figure out how to buy some of his stuff - trip to me favourite wee shoppy, methinks, rather than net....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:04 pm
Monger - I think the show I heard lkast night mentioned that the music they played was composed not long before he died!!!!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:18 pm
Damn! The Reaper is a bitch. Sad I wonder what happened
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:16 pm
His heart stopped? Was he young/ish?

Could I have misheard???
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:43 pm
Dunno. He seemed middle aged. That was Nov. 2001, I believe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:24 pm
@dlowan,
I am reviving this thread because, even though I now know the NAME of the musician, thanks to Monger, I am utterly unable to PURCHASE any of his music.

None of the music shops here seem able to source CDs of his, and I find none on the net.

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy his music from?
Shapeless

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:49 am
@dlowan,
It looks like two of his albums can be gotten used at Amazon.com:

A Perfect Match (1994)
It's About Time (1995)
dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 05:06 am
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

It looks like two of his albums can be gotten used at Amazon.com:

A Perfect Match (1994)
It's About Time (1995)

NEW!!!! NEW!!!! They could (or thus were they advertised) be obtained NEW!!!!!

With one click have I ordered them.......well, two clicks counting them both!!!!

Now I hope I like them as much as the music of his that I heard that began this obsession.

I love you!!!

Shapeless

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@dlowan,
Glad to be of help. Wink Be sure to give us album reviews when they arrive! I've never heard of Saito, so I'd like to learn more.
dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
@Shapeless,
Yes.....one of the albums is described as pop...and what I heard of his was nothing like that......

I fell in love with what I heard on the radio driving home one night.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:08 am
@Shapeless,
I love you even more now...there appear to be three albums available in the west, and I got the third one from Amazon as well.....it is new also.

They don't appear to be releasing them any more, but second hand sellers are clearly getting remaindered ones that were never sold.

I do wonder if more is available in Japan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:29 am
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

Glad to be of help. Wink Be sure to give us album reviews when they arrive! I've never heard of Saito, so I'd like to learn more.

First CD arrived today.

No chance to listen yet.

Thank you A2k!
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:03 pm
@dlowan,
Now I have two af the albuns.

I like the second way more than the first (the first one I received was It's About Time...too poppy/new agey for me)...the second (I'll give the name later) I like a lot more.
0 Replies