Crichton's "State of Fear" - and the science in it.

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:49 pm
I was not sure whether to put this in Books or not - but, here it is.

I am reading "State of Fear" at present -Michael Crichton's newest book.

As a book, I think it pretty awful - it has primitive characterization as usual - (I do not think the "thriller" genre precludes some psychological sophistication, do you?) - and an awful, choppy, thriller "peak of suspense at the end of every weeny chapter mini-soap opera" feel - that makes me feel seasick - it is sort of the literary equivalent of the choppy camera work on ER - but I think that works, even though it is fast becoming cliche - this just makes me cross.

Anyone else read/reading it? What do you think? Am I expecting too much?

I am also intrigued by the science.

One of the reasons I bought it was to get a bit of a feel for the climate change stuff - and I knew he was challenging global warming.

Any informed views re the science??? ( I must go and hunt up the excellent threads here on the subject).

Any informed views of Crichton's very jaded view of the environmental movement???

What do people think of books dealing with this science in the thriller genre - is it inimical both to good science education, and the thriller????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 875 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:33 pm
Re: Crichton's "State of Fear" - and the science i
dlowan wrote:
What do people think of books dealing with this science in the thriller genre - is it inimical both to good science education, and the thriller????

I haven't read any of his stuff in a few years. Here's one groups view of the "science": http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/fcrichton.asp Global warming theory supporters seem to be highly critical of the book.

I do think that mixing "good science" with the thriller genre tends to work out badly for one or the other. Good science doesn't usually give us horror stories of iminet destruction which is what the book/movie producers are trying to give us.

From the reviews I was able to catch on the web this book appears to be in about the same class as "The Day After Tomorrow" was as a movie (of course, that one was hailed by some environmentalists and boo'd by the anti-global warming crowd for it's bad science..).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:56 pm
I vowed never to read another Crichton Book because , while his science begins with fact, it goes off into wiilderness. Im not sure that such is a bad thing IF THE WRITER CAN KEEP YOU INVESTED. Chrichton has to take some interest in his craft , I ttink is writing just sucks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:03 pm
Yes - I will go back and check the global warming threads - I was aware from here that there is huge debate - (I HAD thought that only fringe folk denied it now) .

The writing is awful - I agree.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:39 pm
I don't think that Chrichton has written a decent book since Andromeda Strain, and even THAT was somewhat poorly written. (Though the premise was great.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:42 am
I'm also reading the book right now. Will reserve comment until I'm done.
0 Replies