Software Question for Vocal Training ... Potential Future Podcast

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 08:43 am
What would be the best way for me to... conquer some of my self-esteem issues regarding my voice and speech issues.

I really want to start a movie review podcast or Youtube video channel of the same ilk. But like most people I disdain the sound of my own voice. For me? One way to overcome this (in my mind's eye) is to practice something along the lines...

1. Karaoke (which might help pacing in speech and lung stamina if I do get longwinded at some point);
2. actual speech therapy software (which is pretty expensive and might be tad too difficult for noncertified speech therapist like myself to handle);
3. Should I start with the hardware side of things? Buy a decent USB microphone and playing around with that? That's easy to look up reviews and get from Amazon, though I don't want to buy some tech that might inevitably never be used if my other self issues are addressed.

As for a possible Youtube channel? I don't really want to start videoing myself (initially) but I would need to start learning video editing software so I can feature clips of whatever I'm viewing. What do you think is the best path to this? But then again, a simple audio podcast might be a great starter before I dive into this.

For what it's worth: I'm pretty sure that a2k doesn't have a sizable (if any) podcast creator population. If you do have podcast experiences, please come out of the shadows. I really would appreciate it. Or if you know a more accessible and active internet community to ask these questions? That too would be appreciated.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 08:52 am
@tsarstepan,
There was a podcast festival in Toronto last weekend. Interesting stuff. I did FOH for a couple of events.

https://www.hotdocs.ca/p/podcastfestival

Quote:

11:30 AM
PANEL: Finding Your Voice: The Art and Craft of Hosting a Podcast
Four popular podcast hosts have a candid chat about their craft. How did they cultivate their talents as storytellers, and what sort of relationship do they hope to build with their audiences? Networking session to follow.

Quote:

9:00 AM
PANEL: Podcasting Essentials: The Tools You Need to Make Your Show
Co-Presented by Camp Tech
Podcasting experts relay the practical nitty-gritty on recording, editing and distributing your show. Get the facts on creation, monetization and promotion. Networking session to follow.

Find out if there's a similar event where you are.

Great community.

A friend and I have been talking about launching a podcast series as we're both storytellers by nature - and there have been a couple of requests.

Equipment is one thing, but storytelling is what you need to be able to do.

Go to local storytelling events. They are huuuuugely helpful in developing your voice/rhythm. Listen to what works - grab a few slots for newbies - pretty much every storytelling event I've been to leaves a couple of 2 - 5 minute slots for new storytellers. Kind of funny - a few of the storytellers I've met at these events were at the podcast festival - cuz they're known now Smile

Hopefully jes pops in with her experience with the genre.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 08:53 am
@tsarstepan,
I podcast. My mic is a part of my headphones. It is a SADES SA-708 and it's not bad (note: it has two plugs so I use an adapter when plugging it into my PC).

I use TeamSpeak to record and Adobe Audition to edit. For YouTube, I pretty much never record myself making a video (if I do, I use Screencast-O-Matic, the pro version). For sound without video, I slap a single image on it and use Windows Movie Maker to extend that single image to the entire length of the sound part of the broadcast. Then upload to YouTube and I'm done.

TeamSpeak requires a channel but you can start with the public ones and just hit record on TeamSpeak. It has a push-to-talk feature that I recommend, so you don't record your sneezes. It's free to download. Downside: it makes a large file.

Screencast-O-Matic has a free and a paid version. The paid version is something like $25 and it takes away their icon and gives you more time to talk. But I would not recommend it for more than maybe 15 - 30 minutes of talk.

Windows Movie Maker is free to download and a bonus is it makes a fairly small file when it's done, but it does take a while to do its thing. I podcast 2 hours or more at a time and WMM takes about as long to do its thing so I just go off and get dinner or something.

Adobe Audition is the one costly item. But it's very good sound editing software. For a free version, you might want to try Audacity. One big upside to Audition is that it will save your TeamSpeak sound file to a much smaller file.

For really long videos (e. g. not just one image), I would recommend Adobe Premiere for editing; can't recall if you can record with it. This one makes a big file again, and those take longer to upload to YouTube.

Ask me whatever you like. I'll be flitting in and out of A2K.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Software Question for Vocal Training ... Potential Future Podcast
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:38:30