Win98 sec. edition - question -=--=--=- please answer :D

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:41 am
In a letter about getting rid of virus , trojans and so on , it is very correct with certain things. but some things my uncle (his job is almost most about the operating system) says it is not recommended to upgrade the system when it is about Win98.

If it is or not please answer to this question if you too have this operating system for example Smile .

Thank you...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 911 • Replies: 13
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:30 pm
Win98 has just about reached the end of its service life and support cycle. Properly configured and fully updated, it is a serviceable operatin' system, however a rowing number of newer applications and protocols are not, and will not be, supported under the Win98 system. Most - though not nescesarilly all - computers manufactured in the past five years can be successfully updated to Win2K and/or WinXP. Of those two choices, WinXP would be the better choice for most users. It should be noted that many older applications and peripheral drivers will require updating in order to function properly under WinXP, or will need to be run in WinXP's Compatibility Mode.

In a lotta ways, the entire Win9x family is sorta like Morse Code; they're out there, but undergoin' no further development, serving fewer and fewer users, and becomin' increasingly outmoded as techno;ogy marches on.

In short, Win9x operatin' systems will work, but every day more and more things that won't work well -if at all - under the Win9x umbrella come onto the scene. The road goes on forever, but it takes new turns once in a while, and Win9x has been bypassed, becomin' a dead end. Its up to you whether to stay put or to move on. Life - includin' the world of computers - is gonna move on with or without you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:51 pm
"...sorta like Morse Code; they're out there, but undergoin' no further development, serving fewer and fewer users, and becomin' increasingly outmoded as techno;ogy marches on."

Just to quibble for quibbling's sake: Morse code is used by quite a large number of ham radio operators... and they justed added a code for the "@" symbol.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:23 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Just to quibble for quibbling's sake: Morse code is used by quite a large number of ham radio operators... and they justed added a code for the "@" symbol.

--- .... --..-- / .. / -.- -. --- .-- --..-- / -... ..- - / .. - / .- .. -. .----. - / -- .- .. -. ... - .-. . .- -- / .- -. -.-- -- --- .-. . Mr. Green
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
too little memory
thanks for the help. but when I wrote "upgrade the system" , I meant the files. for example through windows update. And I want to upgrade to Windows XP , but the thing is that lacking too much in memory. beacuse I just have 256mb :wink: . but I will upgrade to Win2k next time I´m reinstalling my computer. Thanks again.... and if you have any other advice , I would really appreaciate it. Smile
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
too little memory
thanks for the help. but when I wrote "upgrade the system" , I meant the files. for example through windows update. And I want to upgrade to Windows XP , but the thing is that lacking too much in memory. beacuse I just have 256mb :wink: . but I will upgrade to Win2k next time I´m reinstalling my computer. Thanks again.... and if you have any other advice , I would really appreaciate it. Smile
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
sry for the crazy messaging Razz . it just wrote some error messages and I just thought the message was gone Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:04 pm
WinXP oughtta run fine on 256MB of memory and any PIII 350 equivalent or better processor. I have XP Home runnin' on a PIII 400/128MB laptop - it ain't real fast - but it never was - and it won't do a lotta multi-taskin' - it never could - but it runs better, faster, and more stably under XP than it ever did under Win98SE - which it came with when new. If it would accommodate more memory, I'd add it, but that ain't an option with this particular machine. As it is, while its not up to CAD/CAM or Video Production, its a perfectly adequate web-browser and simple word/data/image processor.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
timberlandko wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

--- .... --..-- / .. / -.- -. --- .-- --..-- / -... ..- - / .. - / .- .. -. .----. - / -- .- .. -. ... - .-. . .- -- / .- -. -.-- -- --- .-. . Mr. Green

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-- .- .. -. ... - .-. . .- -- / ... -- .- .. -. ... - .-. . .- --
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:11 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-- .- .. -. ... - .-. . .- -- / ... -- .- .. -. ... - .-. . .- --

Caught that, huh? Laughing

Though there'll always be a niche for it, Morse Code's days as a significant communication medium are long over. Its not even taught in military com schools anymore - but I think there's still a Boy Scout Merit Badge for it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
lol.

I used the Boy Scout translator!

Not exactly cutting edge, no. But then again, people still play with letter substitution cryptograms. Smile
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:11 am
thanks timberlandko , now my question is : is it a good choice too , installing Win2k on a PIII 733 mhz and 256 mb and after that patch it with all updates availible ( bad spelling Very Happy ) except SP2 (( beacuse all says the computer runs slow and instable )). and a sec. question : is it a good choice to take the other SP´s Thank you....
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:32 am
The most recent service pack for Win2K is SP4, not SP2. It should most definitely be installed, along with any other critical updates available on http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com if you have any concern for staying spyware/virus/hacker free.

As for Windows XP, right after installing it on a new system is a great time for installing SP2, as it is then less likely that some other program or malicious software will interfere with its installation. At any rate, there is always a vocal minority to report system problems after installing the latest Windows service pack (which, to some degree, is unavoidable due to the 100's of millions of different software/hardware configurations out there), but overal fewer users had serious problems with WinXP SP2 deployment than e.g. WinXP SP1.

I believe Microsoft is dropping support for Windows XP without SP2, which makes upgrading more important as some future WinXP updates may only work with SP2.
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:46 am
About Win2k
Thanks timberlandko for the advice. Now my question is : Is it a good choice to install Win2k and after that patch it with all updates availible except SP2 (( all I´ve asked says it just runs slow )) . And a sec. question : wich SP´s are and isn´t recommended to different operating systems?? And the last question : which operating system is recommended for games Razz ?? Thank you to all who´s answering.....
0 Replies