Let me take a moment to feel sorry for myself...

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:50 pm
It'll help me sleep better tonight. Wink

I am sitting here in a pool of sweat and hating EVERY second of moving. I have to be out of my apt complex by the 30th, and I'm doing all the moving myself.

I drive an echo (don't knock it... it's my love machine) ...so it can only hold so much. I'm having to drive 2 hrs back and forth.

I've been sleeping on the floor for the past 2 wks because I sold my 1 yr old bed that cost me almost $600 (a lot when you're in college) for $50.

Too cheap to rent a truck esp. since my FI has a house and my crap is just that, so it's been left outside my place for the taking...

I'm presently on my knees in front of the computer desk because I gave my chair away to some family. ....laughing on the outside, crying on the inside. Cool

If you don't see me posting after the 5th of Jan, ask shewolfnm to watch her local news for some crazy girl who jumped out her window.

Oh, and it's supposed to rain (tons of it) the day before, day of, and day after my move out date. YAY!!!

On a positive note, all this moving has to be burning some crazy calories. ha!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,577 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
Okay, my dad is coming on the 30th with his car, but moving still sucks, and it'll still be raining like a mug on that day. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:01 pm
Aw, that sounds rough!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:03 pm
Laughing Laughing

at least sympathy replies like that make me feel better. it's like you're actually here patting my back. Wink

my FI wrote me laughing and just said "thank goodness I don't have to do crap." WTH? Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
You know moving sucks when someone would rather be in Iraq....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:12 pm
Well, he is busy and all. Glad your dad is going to help you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:46 pm
joah--

Being all on your lonesome with a mountain of stuff and no backhoe or dolly should inspire you to winnow, winnow, winnow.

Toss what you won't need.

College campus means some sort of Vocational Office. Can you rent a couple strong backs to cart bulky pieces down the stairs? Perhaps if you contacted ROTC some of the cadets (are they cadets?) would be willing to Do Their Part for free.

I'm old enough to collect Social Security and in the last 40 years I've moved 18 times--I'm good at moving.

Do you have enough boxes? Remember, heavy stuff like books can be moved in double plastic bags. If necessary cut cardboard to fit the bottom the way Chinese restaurants reinforce their takeout bags.

This is Tuesday. By Thursday at midnight, you will have accomplished miracles.

In thirty hours the worst will be over--out of the old life, into the new.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:56 pm
You rock Noddy. Those are excellent ideas. Probably just saved me some boxes by reminding me I can put them in the 1,000+ plastic bags I have.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
Absolutely! Not only do plastic bags pack lighter, they come with handles and you can balance them easily on the steps.

No move takes place without steps.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:07 pm
Yikes Letty I thought I was the queen of moving but that is only counting how many times I have moved, changed jobs, and changed men in the last four years since I have known all'y'all.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:10 pm
Ooh, and I bet the bags pack into the car better that way, too. Under the seat, into that little space over there where no box will fit... Great idea, Noddy.

Sorry you're doing this alone, Jo. Just keep the motion going and before you know it you'll be all done. And, Hurray for Dads!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
Probably too late, Joahaeyo, but remember that the back of the rear seat in the Echo folds down and makes an enormous amount of trunk space.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
Awwwwwww

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Jo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Moving REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:57 pm
roger wrote:
Probably too late, Joahaeyo, but remember that the back of the rear seat in the Echo folds down and makes an enormous amount of trunk space.

My weeny li'l Honda Scamp did that (a tiny plastic car built round a 650 cc motorcycle engine) - could carry a lot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:58 pm
Moving on your own, in the rain sucks.
Selling stuff you like for dirt sucks.
Throwing away your own stuff sucks, no matter how much nicer someone else's is.
Dads helping is nice.

Plastic bags are an excellent tip. (doubled that is)
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:07 pm
lol, thanks guys. I have to carry my rat dog and furless kitty in the backseat. Sad

I've come so close to just tossing them in the trunk. I can't leave them in the apt. because cleaners and stuff will be going in and out of my apt tomorrow---the 31st ...and I'm such a worry wart. I don't trust them to close the door (runaway kitty), so buckled up in the backseat they go. Smile

ehbeth, I didn't want to mention it, but yeah...it does bother me a "little" that I'm throwing away "my crap." ...mostly because I didn't have time (my fault) to just give it away so it's wasted money down the drain (pots, etc, etc ...really... there's no need in having too many in his cabinets).

I guess on a positive note: I'm moving my stuff from a very small apt to our new house ....a street down from my parents!!!

Oh, don't worry... we're moving in May, so we won't be living in a house so close for too long. Laughing

It was funny while we were dating because my mom would always say "be sure to come home. don't you be spending the night at some boy's house!!!" Laughing ...so I scooted my tail to my parent's house each night.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:07 pm
>turning on local news<

Hmm... noone jumped out of any window yet??
hurry up! we need some news here. ;-) Laughing

Ug.. moving really does bite the big one. And Noddy is right.. plastic bags are a god send.
GROCERY BAGS make great stuffing for dishes and what not. They also can hold alot of clothes. Pillow cases make great containers too. So do big bowls. Use big salad bowls to put your small things in. Make up ALWAYS leaves dust behind and can dis color stuff spray hairspray on the makeup containers ( SMALL amounts ) and put them in plastic. Take some time to pack everything and just move it to the door. When the time comes to finally make the last sweep all you have to do is check the walk way . It also saves on some big trips from the kitchen to the car back to the kitchen to the car etc... Just walking with things from the front door to the car saves energy for packing. Pack simple. Pack light and if possible, dont pack at all. You can fit alot of stuff in your car if you DONT use boxes. Yeah.. it makes for a pain in the ASS but requires less trips.

ug.. happy moving.
I will watch my TV for the next 3 days. ;-)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:09 pm
oh yeah.. another trick..
Pack breakables in your clothes/sheets etc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
Joanne--

Letty and I share a generation and a certain style, but she's musical, poetic and kind.

I'm Noddy.--and proud to have sounded like Letty.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:29 pm
You don't, but I love you both.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Let me take a moment to feel sorry for myself...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:00:32