I hate when people say, "New Year's Eve is amateur night."

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:56 pm
It never fails. Every year, at some point, someone always says, "I don't really like New Year's Eve. It's amateur night." This, to me, means, "The people out drinking on New Year's Eve don't know how to handle their liquor. I, on the other hand, have mastered the art of it, and know the exact correct way to drink. It's just no fun for me to go out and drink when these lesser drunks are around."

What bullshit. Usually the people who say this have at least ten times the amount of stories involving times when they vomited on themselves, got in a fight while drinking, or just plain acted like an a$shole. And on this one night, they act all high and mighty about the other people who only drink too much and act like dumbasses once a year? Gimme a break!

Being a snob about getting drunk is like being an elitist about how well you can wipe your ass after taking a dump. You aren't going to win any pulitzer prize for you drinking skills, so lighten up. It's drinking, for Christ's sake! You drink, you get drunk, you act stupid for a little while, you fall down. Don't act like it's a noble art that you've mastered. You're good at getting drunk. Congratulations, and big f*ckin' deal!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,185 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:59 pm
I can't stand to be around drunk people, amateur or professional.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:00 pm
Actually, NY's I take the night off from drinking...too many dangers. Except for the cheap glass of bubbly at midnight...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
That's why my hubby and I, along with another couple, are going to a "hotel party". That way, if it sucks and we are all miserable, the worst that can happen is we get obliterated and crawl to our rooms. No driving. No danger.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:02 pm
I lay low on drinking when I'm working....believe it or not....rockers may look like retards but it requires focus to do a really good job....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:04 pm
I just hate it when people are all judgmental about drunks. Though I agree that there are significantly more dangers to getting tanked on New Years. I'm with Kristie on hotel parties.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:15 pm
I know in my youth, I've probably spent a New Years Eve vomiting my guts out. But really, now I only need a couple of drinks or none at all, to enjoy myself on this famous nightÂ….I usually end up the designated driver at all the party functions I attend.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:15 pm
Thanks for all the replies, but I was actually just using NYE as an illustration of this whole "I'm a better drinker than you" insanity. Drinking is associated with celebration. NYE is a celebration. If your celebration involves drinking, then why act like others' celebratory drinking is beneath you?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:20 pm
it always comes down to insecurity I guess...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
They want to brag about being alcoholics, let 'em.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:31 pm
There is something to being able to deride others for being in the exact same place in life that you were a few years back. It's easy to look down your nose at the kid who's having his 21st birthday in public because you're so past that. But I think it smells a little like envy too. When we get closer to our 30s and have outlived our youthful sparkle we might enjoy taking pot shots at those who have not.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:33 pm
I don't drive after dark on amateur night... and my ass is spotless, btw.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
I've partied so much in my younger years at NYE, I just don't have any desire to do so now, and I know, I'm not
missing a damn thing Smile

Having a glass of champagne at midnight with good friends is sufficient for me. I also don't want to be on the road after dark, not even in a taxi.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:01 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:03 pm
kickycan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Laughing

I have two words for you: Sleep over.

Then you don't have to drive at night. It's wonderful. We stayed at our friends house last year, even though we didn't get smashed because there are other nuts out there who don't care if they are hammered and they are driving.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:03 pm
Getting drunk the right way is a serious business.

You gotta learn balance; enough to get a buzz but not so much you puke or pass out.

I mean, really, how much talent does it take to guzzle booze 'til you pass out?

But the ability to drink all night, never spilling a drop, never bowed over the porcelin; that takes practice.

Just pray that your brain cells and/or liver survive the training period.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:05 pm
Why even try...that's the question...I mean has anything good ever come from drinking?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:07 pm
Lots and lots of kids.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:08 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Getting drunk the right way is a serious business.

You gotta learn balance; enough to get a buzz but not so much you puke or pass out.

I mean, really, how much talent does it take to guzzle booze 'til you pass out?

But the ability to drink all night, never spilling a drop, never bowed over the porcelin; that takes practice.

Just pray that your brain cells and/or liver survive the training period.

Laughing so true...I've puked twice in my life due to drinking. And I've been drunk more times than I can say. Practice makes perfect!

And as for losing brain cells....have you ever heard of the Buffalo Effect? The weaker, stupider buffalo are the ones that get eaten and die. In that way, the stronger and smarter buffalo continue to get stronger and live longer. The same holds true for the Beer Effect. The weaker brain cells are the ones that get destroyed. That leaves just the stronger, smarter brain cells. Which proves = Beer makes you smarter.

It made Bud wiser...... he he he..... Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 03:09 pm
Brand X wrote:
Why even try...that's the question...I mean has anything good ever come from drinking?

Fun! It's fun to not have to worry about what an idiot you look like. Or whether or not your bills are paid. Or if your boss is going to fire you tomorrow because you messed up. It takes you to a place that nothing matters except for the moment.

That is why.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I hate when people say, "New Year's Eve is amateur night."
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:33:13