Voices from the American Left of the American Left

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 03:59 pm
Truthdig’s Chris Hedges barks up America’s Left tree.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/10/06/hedg-o06.html

Pretty important excerpt from a vitally important mark on American history:

The elites “have no credibility left:” An interview with journalist Chris Hedges
By David North
6 October 2017
On Monday, WSWS International Editorial Board Chairman David North interviewed Chris Hedges, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, author, lecturer and former New York Times correspondent. Among Hedges’ best-known books are War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning, The Death of the Liberal Class, Empire of Illusion: the End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle, Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt, which he co-wrote with the cartoonist Joe Sacco, and Wages of Rebellion: the Moral Imperative of Revolt.

Chris Hedges
In an article published in Truthdig September 17, titled “The Silencing of Dissent,” Hedges referenced the WSWS coverage of Google’s censorship of left-wing sites and warned about the growth of “blacklisting, censorship and slandering dissidents as foreign agents for Russia and purveyors of ‘fake news.’”
Hedges wrote that “the Department of Justice called on RT America and its ‘associates’—which may mean people like me—to register under the Foreign Agent Registration Act. No doubt, the corporate state knows that most of us will not register as foreign agents, meaning we will be banished from the airwaves. This, I expect, is the intent.”
North’s interview with Hedges began with a discussion of the significance of the anti-Russia campaign in the media.
David North: How do you interpret the fixation on Russia and the entire interpretation of the election within the framework of Putin’s manipulation?
Chris Hedges: It’s as ridiculous as Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction. It is an absolutely unproven allegation that is used to perpetuate a very frightening accusation—critics of corporate capitalism and imperialism are foreign agents for Russia.
I have no doubt that the Russians invested time, energy and money into attempting to influence events in the United States in ways that would serve their interests, in the same way that we have done and do in Russia and all sorts of other countries throughout the world. So I’m not saying there was no influence, or an attempt to influence events.
But the whole idea that the Russians swung the election to Trump is absurd. It’s really premised on the unproven claim that Russia gave the Podesta emails to WikiLeaks, and the release of these emails turned tens, or hundreds of thousands, of Clinton supporters towards Trump. This doesn’t make any sense. Either that, or, according to the director of national intelligence, RT America, where I have a show, got everyone to vote for the Green Party.
This obsession with Russia is a tactic used by the ruling elite, and in particular the Democratic Party, to avoid facing a very unpleasant reality: that their unpopularity is the outcome of their policies of deindustrialization and the assault against working men and women and poor people of color. It is the result of disastrous trade agreements like NAFTA that abolished good-paying union jobs and shipped them to places like Mexico, where workers without benefits are paid $3.00 an hour. It is the result of the explosion of a system of mass incarceration, begun by Bill Clinton with the 1994 omnibus crime bill, and the tripling and quadrupling of prison sentences. It is the result of the slashing of basic government services, including, of course, welfare, that Clinton gutted; deregulation, a decaying infrastructure, including public schools, and the de facto tax boycott by corporations. It is the result of the transformation of the country into an oligarchy. The nativist revolt on the right, and the aborted insurgency within the Democratic Party, makes sense when you see what they have done to the country

View best answer, chosen by Lash
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 05:05 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/05/paradise-papers-leak-reveals-secrets-of-world-elites-hidden-wealth

Goddammit.

Work your asses off to pay for the billionaires who don’t pay taxes.

Interesting that a Saudi Prince and his retinue died in a plane/copter crash today as the Paradise Papers were released... plus a shooting in Texas.

Very distracting.

Be aware. Something big is happening—& being hidden.
edgarblythe
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 05:57 pm
It's no secret that government exists to protect the wealthy from the poor. Why the poor continue to put up with it is a mystery to me.
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 08:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
One reason is because the poor are pitted against each other along racial and ethnic lines.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 09:04 pm
@wmwcjr,
True. Divide and conquer.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 07:55 am
https://www.thenation.com/article/our-revolution-candidates-won-big-last-night/

Bernie Sanders has knocked himself out, dragging this moribund country into the sunlight. I’m so grateful he found and supported so many worthwhile candidates!!!

Wooohooooo!

An excerpt:

Nothing demonstrates that more clearly than the election-night winners who were backed by Our Revolution, the political action organization that grew out of Senator Bernie Sanders’s 2016 presidential campaign. Our Revolution endorses candidates who support issues Sanders championed, like expanding health care, fighting income and wealth inequality, and getting Big Money out of politics. The Nation is the first to obtain Our Revolution’s final count of winning candidates. So far, Our Revolution candidates have won 21 seats—out of 59 races in which the organization made endorsements—with a few more races still to be determined. The group also supported the successful Maine voter referendum to expand Medicaid coverage in the state. Last night’s gains dramatically increase the total number of Our Revolution-backed candidates in office—the one-year-old group can now tout 35 elected officials among its endorsements.

Candidates of color, women, and LGBTQ+ identifying candidates backed by Our Revolution won big last night. Pending final results in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the organization told The Nation in an e-mail that nine women, four Latinx candidates, four black Americans, and two openly LGBTQ+ candidates have won.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 08:04 am
Chomsky: American college tuition is another barrier to equality.

https://www.alternet.org/education/chomsky-high-college-tuition-blunt-instrument-keep-middle-class-down?amp

In an increasingly unequal country, the stakes are high for debates over student debt and the prospect of free higher education. Driven by neoliberal politics, our current educational system is both a product of and a driver of deep social inequities. In this interview, world-renowned public intellectuals Noam Chomsky and Robert Pollin take on the question of who should pay for education -- and how a radical reshaping of our educational system could be undertaken in the US.

This is the third part of a wide-ranging interview series with world-renowned public intellectuals Noam Chomsky and Robert Pollin. Read part one here and part two here.

C.J. Polychroniou: Noam, higher education in the US is a terribly expensive affair, and hundreds of billions are owed in student loans. First, do you think that a system of free higher education can coexist alongside tuition-charging universities? Secondly, what could and should be done about student debt?

Noam Chomsky: The educational system was a highly predictable victim of the neoliberal reaction, guided by the maxim of "private affluence and public squalor." Funding for public education has sharply declined. Tuition has exploded, leading to a plague of unpayable student debt. As higher education is driven to a business model in accord with neoliberal doctrine, administrative bureaucracy has sharply increased at the expense of faculty and students, developments reviewed well by sociologist Benjamin Ginsburg. Cost-cutting dictated by the revered market principles naturally leads to hyper-exploitation of the more vulnerable, creating a new precariat of graduate students and adjuncts surviving on a bare pittance, replacing tenured faculty. All of this happens to be a good disciplinary technique, for obvious reasons.

For those with eyes open, much of what has happened was anticipated by the early '70s, at the point of transition from regulated capitalism to incipient neoliberalism. At the time, there was mounting elite concern about the dangers posed by the democratizing and civilizing effects of 1960s activism, and particularly the role of young people during "the time of troubles." The concerns were forcefully expressed at both ends of the political spectrum.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 04:18 am
America's Descent into Dystopia

https://www.truthdig.com/videos/chris-hedges-american-empires-descent-dystopia-video/
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 05:55 am
@Lash,
Chris Hedges wrote:
But the whole idea that the Russians swung the election to Trump is absurd.

But that's not everyone's version of the "whole idea". It would be imprudent to make such a claim when the personal unpopularity of Mrs. Clinton is a sufficient explanation of her loss.
Quote:
This obsession with Russia is a tactic used by the ruling elite, and in particular the Democratic Party, to avoid facing a very unpleasant reality: that their unpopularity is the outcome of their policies of deindustrialization and the assault against working men and women and poor people of color.

But the Democrats did surprisingly well for a party which is supposedly so unpopular. They ran the worst candidate in years and still managed to win 20 states.
Quote:
(...)there’s not a whole lot of disagreement among Democrats about what they’re against. What they should be for is another matter. It’s probably a problem that they can put off for a little while. Midterm elections are always referenda on the incumbent president, so until then, Democrats mostly need to keep their base agitated enough about Trump and the Republicans to go vote. Once that bar is cleared, talk will turn to 2020, and presidential candidates, and proposals and ideas.

The Resistance So Far
Lash

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 06:02 am
@hightor,
You wouldn't try to pretend that the Russian narrative isn't the Ride or Die for all establishment Democrats.

This place is a perfect example of how establishment types lose their **** if you disbelieve their story.
hightor

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 06:06 am
@Lash,
I don't deny that watching the Trump team squirm is rather entertaining. But that doesn't mean that I think the Russians single-handedly swung the election to Trump.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 06:16 am
The superb Chris Hedges hits another one out of the park.

———————————
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/bankruptcy-american-left/

Corporate capitalism is supranational. It owes no loyalty to any nation-state. It uses the projection of military power by the United States to protect and advance its economic interests but at the same time cannibalizes the U.S., dismantling its democratic institutions, allowing its infrastructure to decay and deindustrializing its factory centers to ship manufacturing abroad to regions where workers are treated as serfs.

Resistance to this global cabal of corporate oligarchs must also be supranational. It must build alliances with workers around the globe. It must defy the liberal institutions, including the Democratic Party, which betray workers. It is this betrayal that has given rise to fascist and protofascist movements in Europe and other countries. Donald Trump would never have been elected but for this betrayal. We will build a global movement powerful enough to bring down corporate capitalism or witness the rise of a new, supranational totalitarianism.

The left, seduced by the culture wars and identity politics, largely ignores the primacy of capitalism and the class struggle. As long as unregulated capitalism reigns supreme, all social, economic, cultural and political change will be cosmetic. Capitalism, at its core, is about the commodification of human beings and the natural world for exploitation and profit. To increase profit, it constantly seeks to reduce the cost of labor and demolish the regulations and laws that protect the common good. But as capitalism ravages the social fabric, it damages, like any parasite, the host that allows it to exist. It unleashes dark, uncontrollable yearnings among an enraged population that threaten capitalism itself.
hightor

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 07:40 am
@Lash,
Another sermon. Does the preacher have any practical suggestions or are we just supposed to sit around nodding in rapt agreement?
Lash

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 07:50 am
@hightor,
You post articles. Are your articles sermons?

Do you show up with righteous indignation, demanding a blueprint to accomplish the contents of other people’s articles?

Does your Angry Clinton Gang have a secret buddy pact to attack Edgar and I when we post articles? I’ve noticed maporsche targeting Edgar like this.

Read it; don’t read it.
hightor

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:02 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Are your articles sermons?

They're usually news stories or editorials on subjects in the news.
Quote:
Do you show up with righteous indignation, demanding a blueprint to accomplish the contents of other people’s articles?

If the articles are derivative tripe, then yes, I do.
Quote:
Does your Angry Clinton Gang have a secret buddy pact to attack Edgar and I when we post articles?

I don't belong to or even know of an "Angry Clinton Gang" on A2K or anywhere else.
Quote:
I’ve noticed maporsche targeting Edgar like this.

Well maybe you're paranoid. When I post something based on facts or opinions of another member I consider it "responding".

There's nothing new or original in the Chris Hedges piece you posted.
Lash

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:16 am
@hightor,
If it’s tripe, you want to be told how to achieve it!?

You just disagree with it; why don’t you articulate what you disagree with? It’s so much easier to attack the person who posted though, huh?

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:20 am
Complaining that one is being attacked by some in-crowd is pure Maxdancona. This thread is just another one of Sofia Lash Both's obsessive "I hate the Clintons" efforts. It's self-serving and motivated by her deep-dyed conservative outlook.
Lash

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:21 am
Btw, this thread is a collection of ‘voices from the American left of the American left’...

You’re a little more sanctimonious than usual this morning.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:24 am
If you were addressing me--after voting down my post, which you nevertheless obviously read--then the charge of sanctimony is hilariously hypocritical. If you find my posts so distasteful, put me on ignore.
Lash

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:31 am
@Setanta,
You’re quite clearly the most paranoid person here. You constantly think people are referring to you.

It should seem obvious I was speaking to the previous poster.

I am now reading your posts when they show up near mine now to report you for targeted harassment.

It’s against TOS and I’m tired of you being unaccountable for such a high degree of targeted personal attack, no matter who the subject.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Voices from the American Left of the American Left
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 03:23:03