Splitting living expenses

Sjr

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 04:35 am
I am engaged to a man who at present spends every weekend at my house. He pays for random things that he wants, like a new saw but that is it. He wants to move in with me. My home is paid off so he insists that I pay nothing for living her. He is willing to pay half the utilities and half the cable. When I told him that was unacceptable he offered to put what he is paying for rent now $1,000 plus utilities into a fund to be used only on items we both agree on over time. He makes 4-5 thousand a month, I am unemployed at this time. He does cut the lawn every week but brings his laundry her for me to take care of. What do you think? Sjr

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 07:08 am
What was your counter-response? What do you want?

PS this house has expenses- utilities, taxes, insurances, repairs. How will these be Paid?
jespah

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 07:37 am
@Sjr,
He has clearly never heard of things like property taxes or maintenance.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:23 am
@Sjr,
Are you wanting to charge your fiance rent?
0 Replies

Sjr

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:53 pm
@PUNKEY,
Exactly my point, there are many home expens s and they all fall on me, not to mention groceries.
I think he should contribute what he has been paying for rent. He will get a lot more for his money. He lives now in a small apartment with no yard versus a large fully furnished home on 3 acres, heat and electric, groceries, laundry and cooking. I live on the edge of a state park with many sports available. This is a place he could invite family and friends.
I do not want to charge him rent but I do not and cannot carry him either.
His just being here on weekends significantly increases my bills for elec and groceries, he is twice my size.
0 Replies

Sjr

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:54 pm
@jespah,
Or insurance, groceries
0 Replies

Sjr

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:56 pm
@PUNKEY,
He says he will pay half the utilities and half the cable total!
jespah

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 02:18 pm
@Sjr,
Then he's a cheapskate.

If he was living in an apartment, his rent would be considerably higher. The fact that you own the place doesn't magically make it a free place to live. And it also didn't emblazon a sign on your forehead that said sucker.

If he is like this right now, and with something that should be pretty damned fundamental, how can he be with anything else? It's one thing if he hasn't a dime to his name. But my impression here is that he does - it's just that he thinks these aren't his expenses to bear.

BTW, a marriage license is probably not going to change his way of thinking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 08:13 pm
@Sjr,
You're in a losing proposition before you even consider marriage. This guy seems to be taking advantage of you in more ways than just the rent. It's up to you to decide whether this arrangement is worth it to you - for now and the future. Your choice.
0 Replies

MinkaBlinka

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:30 pm
@Sjr,
I'm wondering why he wants to put the money in an account where you both have to agree on what it's spent on?
Will this be an account with your name only or is he suggesting a joint account?
If you had a different person as a room mate & charged them rent, they would have no say so in what you do with that money.
It sounds like he could be a little controlling. (Maybe a lot)
Whether you're working or not shouldn't be part of the question.
It's your house, should be your rules & your decision of where the money needs to go if he moves in.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 06:04 am
This says a lot about this guy:
He is not a loving, generous man.
He is disrespectful of your hard work and possessions.
He doesn't respect the need to take care of other's property.
He doesn't appreciate you.

Thank goodness you found out all this before marrying him!!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 03:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
Unfortunately, marriage has not been declared void.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Splitting living expenses
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.78 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:36:02