What to do about controlling adult daughter?

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 12:49 pm
my daughter is 25 y/o and she is becoming so controlling I can't stand it. She lives out of town but is constantly asking me what I'm eating, what I"m doing and with whom, etc. She is currently not working but is looking for employment and she is worse than ever. I've been dating someone for a year and when we were out together, she came up to me and my date and said why are you always holding hands? (I've been a widow for 5 years). I've gotten to the point that I don't tell her everything for fear of being criticized so she "caught" me in a lie last night when I told her I went to dinner alone and she ended up calling the manager she knew a few years ago when she worked at the restaurant to find out if I was really alone - and I wasn't. I'm at my wits end. I do not like to be less than truthful but how can I get her to back off??

roger

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 12:52 pm
@veryconfused123,
Just my opinion, but I think this is one of those times when direct confrontation is the way to go.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 12:57 pm
@veryconfused123,
Is she controlling or overly inquisitive?

Do her questions actually cause you to change your behaviour?

Have you talked to her directly and honestly about your feelings about all of her questions?

__

It sounds like things aren't going well in her own life and that questioning/interfering in yours may be an effort to feel better. She needs help with that. You probably can't help/fix her but you can certainly let her know how you feel about all the questions. Let her know you don't like it. Refuse to answer or tell the truth - that is your call (my instinct would be to ignore the questions and/or redirect her).

Do you need to talk with her frequently? maybe put a limit on your contacts. block her on any social media you're on so she can't follow you around there.

She really does need to grow up and be more independent.

__

If she'd done that to me/date, there would have been a very serious family discussion that evening/the next day.
0 Replies

veryconfused123

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 01:00 pm
thanks for the input but she makes me feel so guilty b/c I don't lie - not my style despite her always telling me that I am lying - I hate being accused of something I am not guilty for.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 01:03 pm
@veryconfused123,
Back off talking to her. Tell her your personal business is NOT her business.

Talk to her once a week for a limited period of time. Lead the discussion - ask her questions. Don't answer hers unless she answers yours.

She really needs to grow up.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 01:05 pm
@veryconfused123,
Keep in mind you don't have to like your relatives. You can love them but not like them. You dón't choose your relatives but you do choose who you interact with.

If time talking to her makes you feel guilty instead of bringing you joy - talk to her less.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 06:19 am
A simple "why do you ask" might do for a start. Her questioning and demand for attention is really about something going on with her.

She seems afraid - maybe of losing you to your new friend. She's unemployed right now. That's also scary.

Was she close to her father? That 5 year mark is difficult for some people. She could have delayed grief.

Head off the questions. Tell her you are going out and won't be ableto talk to her until tomorrow morning.

Encourage counseling. Her actions show her anxiety is beyond appropriate.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 08:59 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Back off talking to her. Tell her your personal business is NOT her business.

Talk to her once a week for a limited period of time. Lead the discussion - ask her questions. Don't answer hers unless she answers yours.

She really needs to grow up.

Exactly - why are you even answering her if you don't want her to know? That is what I don't get. If she asks what you ate today say it really isn't your business. If she asks what you did last night or who you went with - same answer. Or even better yet - why talk to her? You don't need to talk with her or answer her questions if you don't want to - no reason to lie -- simply don't tell her.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 09:01 am
Yeah, I'd be asking her why she's asking all these questions. You don't have to answer to her, you know... you ARE her mother. Tell her to stop it. Tell her it annoys you. She's too intrusive.

Maybe she's going through some issues; happy, well-adjusted people don't do this.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What to do about controlling adult daughter?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:59:22