Writing with numbers question

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 11:45 am
When referencing documents or a list of items within a document, is it wrong to write the number as opposed to the word? Example:

Project Deliverables:
 - Item 5 was added to the list.
 - No objections were stated regarding item 5.1

I take meeting minutes for many of our executive decisions, just want to be sure I am utilizing the most formal approach. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Newbie (First time posting)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,177 • Replies: 3
No top replies

centrox

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2017 11:59 am
In business type documents it is normal to write numbers like you have shown. In some formal or literary writing, e.g. prose such as a short story or novel, it is usual to spell the number e.g. "I have three dogs and two cats".
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 09:12 am
@centrox,
Actually, the general rule I was taught is that any number ten or less is spelled out, and 11 or more is written as numerals.
centrox

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 09:54 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Actually, the general rule I was taught is that any number ten or less is spelled out, and 11 or more is written as numerals.

This is a matter of style preference; for example the Guardian advises:
Quote:
Spell out from one to nine; numerals from 10 to 999,999; thereafter use m, bn or tn for sums of money, quantities or inanimate objects in copy, eg 5m tonnes of coal, 30bn doses of vaccine, £50tn; but million or billion for people or animals, eg 1 million people, 25 million rabbits, the world population is 7 billion, etc; in headlines always use m, bn or tn
0 Replies