Recommended books for college freshmen.

plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:05 pm
Fascinating ideas.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:41 pm
I am truly awestruck by the knowledge of the members in this forum, but more so by the quick sharing of info by everyone! These are so great suggestions for books, and even though I am no longer a college freshman, for eons Laughing, I can always learn from reading them.

One set of books I recently found was the series of "The Great Philosophers" by Karl Jaspers. There are 4 volumes (I think), and he gives a pretty good analysis of the many philosophers we may have heard of but never had the chance to read about. In really lay language to anyone not even familiar with "philosophy".

So far, I have read a book called "Socrates, Buddha, Confucius, Jesus" which is an excerpt from Volume 1, and I am presently reading Volume 3. The books are just incredible!!
0 Replies

frozntrl

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:58 pm
The reviewers of Jared Diamond's book, Collapse, sustain a false image (mental model), without evidence, of the Norse in Greenland during the Little Ice Age. The evidence shows that the Norse in Greenland walked across the frozen Davis Strait to become ancestors of many tribes in America. Multiple evidence to support this statement is presented in www.frozentrail.org.

For example: The Old Norse and the Algonquin-speaking people, one-third of North America, had over 15,000 phrases with similar sounds and meanings.

Historical documents on two continents record the Greenland migration story. Three Walam Olum verses describe how the Norse, using a republican government, made the decision to walk across the frozen sea.

The Norse in Greenland had a working mental model based on first hand knowledge of the evidence. It saved their lives. Survival, even today, requires a workable mental model supported by evidence
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
Welcome frozntrl.

Speak on it. Do you have special interests in this area?

Glad you're here.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:21 pm
*bump*
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:32 am
When I first started Law School (I know it's not college, but bear with me a sec), I was given a book called The Conscience of a Lawyer. Fascinating book, and easy to read, definitely something a freshman could get through with little trouble. Really says a lot about how the obviously guilty can be and are defended.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:55 am
Aren't you a sophomore now, Lash? What do you want with books for freshmen?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:41 am
Thomas--

I'm almost a Junior, but I love this thread, and I revived it, hoping for more titles.

I was looking through it last night, reminding myself of dys' list and others.

I haven't taken a semester off since this thread was started.

Jespah-- THANKS! Suggestions like that are what makes his hread so valuable. I never would have thought of a book about law.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:14 pm
You're welcome! Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:43 am
Lash wrote:
Thomas--

I'm almost a Junior, but I love this thread, and I revived it, hoping for more titles.

I was looking through it last night, reminding myself of dys' list and others.

I haven't taken a semester off since this thread was started.

Lash:
I am 16 years old and I am seriously considering study in American colleges. I have recently opened a thread asking questions on suitable textbooks on US History, World History and Literature for my SAT II reviews.
Kind Charli, Chaplin reincarnate, just showed me the striking similarity between our two threads. So, yes, I am hoping for more titles too Smile

And my contribution:
Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August. It's a book apparently confined to one single month but essentially and artfully it covered the whole course of the event and even the course of history before, present, and in the future. It's is said that before Cuban Missile Crisis JFK was reading that book and got a lot of inspiration and vigilance. (But I suspect many of you may have read the book)

For Philosohpy: I am reading Russel's book right now. It's the classic for starter.

JB
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:21 am
Btw, the discussion ahead reminded me of Arnold Toybeen's Metahistory theory, which I haven't studied comprehensively, but surely, had a lot of interest and agreement.

Interestingly, in one June issue of Newsweek, Fareed Zakaria's article "How long will American lead the world" (very thoughtful one I think), there was a mention of Toybeen, quite superficial, but though that I have had more peeping into this historian.
Quote:

Full Article for possible interest
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 04:14 pm
History Review
The book for history review is:

"Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need to Know About American History but Never Learned" (Paperback)
by Kenneth C. Davis

J-B -As you can see by the above entry, my email correspondent answered! I'll put this on the other thread also - just in case. Hope it helps. Keep us posted. Smile Smile Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 04:35 pm
I haven't read Guns of August but did read Tuchman's A Distant Mirror. That one is rather thick, J-B, certainly fascinating, but not, perhaps, what you are looking for as a survey (introduction) text. Lash, do you remember what your intro literature texts were (sorry, I've not gone back and reread the thread here.) J-B has been looking for some titles that he could possibly order.

J-B, you amaze me, you are only sixteen? Very knowledgeable, and very fast learner. For those who haven't followed, J-B has made giant leaps in his english language skills since he first started on a2k. He also took a trip to England last year and met our Clary, who has a language school.

Setanta may have some history reading suggestions, though I don't know if he is familiar with intro texts as such.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:58 pm
ossobuco wrote:

though I don't know if he is familiar with intro texts as such.

I doubt it too, he is just so guru-like. :wink:
0 Replies