what will be the classics from our era?

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 04:09 am
I was looking through a book store the other day and was surprised to see how many "classics" are still widely available. The strange things that these books are still popular and are reguarly read by people a hundred years after they were written. This got me to thinking to what books people in 100/200 years from now will be reading, especially what books that were written in the last 20 odd years ( and possibly ones that I have read).
So my question is- what books that were written in the last 20 odd years do you think will be read in 100/200 years time?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,304 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 06:04 am
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
A Suitable Boy and others by Vikram Seth
Dorothy Dunnet;s Lymond and Niccolo series

can't think of any others at the moment but there are lots
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:21 pm
Chronicles of Narnia
His Dark Materials
Mel Gibson's cyberpunk novels... (he invented the genre so)
Chrysalids (already a classic?)
Stephen King's novel?
John Grisham's?
Life of Pi (?)
Tom Clancy's novel?

Artemis Fowl maybe too.
With the buzz The DaVinci code is making, it could be up there as well.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
Books that last need to have a timeless quality that each new generation can relate to. Books by Grisham and Clancy are very steeped in the our moment of time and I'm not sure they will still translate well in 50 or 100 years like a Dickens or Austin.

I think books like "Girl With A Pearl Earring", "Cold Mountain", and "The Name of the Rose" might still be read far into the future.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:48 pm
Vivien, much of your list is mine.

I would add The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and def. agree with Cold Mountain.

I'd probably go Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland rather than Girl with a Pearl. I like the reverse tracing of the ownership of a Vermeer and what the effects and responsibilities are of owning great art.

In that vein, I'd also add Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, one of the most extraordinary books I've ever read.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:54 pm
Re: what will be the classics from our era?
tigerfox1904 wrote:
So my question is- what books that were written in the last 20 odd years do you think will be read in 100/200 years time?

This leaves out The Lord of the Rings (written quite a while ago) and, barely, The Name of the Rose (1980).

What would be Classics in the XXII Century?
Perhaps the later works of Grass, Garcia Marquez, Eco, Toni Morrison...

Oh yes, and "Layguide: How to Seduce Women More Beautiful Than You Ever Dreamed", by Tony Clink and Bret Witter.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:55 pm
Oh, and Ray--yea and big YES for
His Dark Materials
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:57 pm
Ray wrote:
Mel Gibson's cyberpunk novels... (he invented the genre so)

William Gibson, Ray, WILLIAM.
Mel's the one who brought us "The Passion of the Christ", remember?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:57 pm
Hmm.

Definitely on A Suitable Boy.

I'm not sure how "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" will age.

Some James Ellroy, maybe.

Alice Munro should really be in there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
Yesterday I had a delightful time in Staples, picking up notebooks and rubber bands and a variety of post-it notes.

I remembered that Colette has a meditation on her love of desk furniture--her observations on sealing wax are practically erotic--and I went looking for my QPBC Colette.

Gone, gone with the wind.

I checked the Gutenburg Project and found that those essays weren't immortalized yet.

Perhaps the readers who put their time where their opinions are will determine which works of the late 20th and early 21st century survive.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:43 pm
Grisham and Tom Clancy will be almost entirely forgotten within the next 20 - 25 years, especially Clancy. So will Dan Brown; The DaVinci Code will go down in literary history as a curious footnote, a third-rate thriller that made best-seller history. Today's best-sellers do not provide a reliable guide to a book's durability. Moby Dick had terribly disappointing sales when it was first published. It was soon out of print and Herman Melville died in relative obscurity and poverty. Louisa May Alcott confidently predicted that Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn would go nowhere; she expected that her own Little Women and Little Men would endure the test of time. They haven't. The runaway best-sellers of just a few years ago are largely forgotten now. Most of Michener's works are out of print. Anybody remember James Clavell? Frank Yerby?

I won't comment on the specific books that will endure but I expect that authors such as Gunther Grass and William Golding (both Nobelists) will continue to be read. Toni Morrison, yes. Also Kurt Vonnegut Jr., perhaps Norman Mailer, E.L. Doctorow among American writers. I can't comment on Stephen King. His output is so huge, the quality of his work so uneven that it's just not possible to know whether he will be considred the E.A. Poe of the 20th Century or just an H.P. Lovecraft. And Dr. Seuss, I think, is as timeless as Lewis Carroll and A.E. Milne before him.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
Noddy24 wrote:

Perhaps the readers who put their time where their opinions are will determine which works of the late 20th and early 21st century survive.

Noddy, what I find scary is that it may be the production giants like Amazon and Barnes and Noble who sell far more Dan Brown than Colette that will determine what survives. I sure hope not!

But I hope the books that are original in approach, and have the timelessness that is created because the emotions, character and dialog strike an important note, survive.

I'm for Toni Morrison and I loved the Naguib Mahfouz (sp?) trilogy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 03:48 pm
loislane--

The Gutenburg project is a labor of love by unpaid workers who enter the books and then proof the entries.

Perhaps the Best Selling Authors could buy their way on the lists (after their copyrights expire), but all the advertising in the world can't convince posterity.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:36 pm
Speriamo! (we hope!)

I like the sound of The Gutenberg Project...wow!! I just visited the site and it is amazing! I gotta make it the thing I donate to next month (I'm doing a donate to a worthy cause every month thing!).
Awesome!
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:12 pm
I think much of William Trevor's writing will stand the test of time, especially short stories like "The Piano Tuner's Wife" and the novel "The Story of Lucy Gault".
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
Quote:
William Gibson, Ray, WILLIAM.

Lol yeah. Very Happy
There must have been some subliminal messages that made me think Mel. Rolling Eyes

Would Life of Pi make it as a classic?

Oh yeah I forgot Ray Bradbury! His novels can be eerie and depressing though, The Martian Chronicles Anyone?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:02 am
The Martian Chrnicles is already a classic in its field.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:44 pm
Right.
0 Replies

iluvorlando313

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 04:01 pm
In many bookstores the Lord of the Rings trilogy is already considered classic along with some of the other previously mentioned. I agree with many people on the His Dark Materials trilogy. Someone has already said Harry Potter right bcuz with all the readers world wide its gotta be considered a classic in the future. Some of my own favorites that i want to last would be The Sisterhood of the traveling pants trilogy\series. I'm not sure if I'm crossing my fingers.
0 Replies

rayden

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:02 pm
the dark tower series by stephen king.....anyone?
0 Replies